WhatsApp is the most used messaging application after basic mobile messaging and Facebook Messenger. While the application at the time of installation takes a few megabytes of storage, the media it collects over time may take up to GBs of storage. Due to this, the data backup size increases, and the cloud storage on which the backup is uploaded quickly gets filled up. To deal with this, let’s look at the easiest way to reduce the backup size to optimal and avoid –
- Buying additional space to save backup
- Dedicating a lot of cloud storage to save the backup.
- Wait for hours to complete a day’s backup.
- Wait for hours to restore the backup.
What Makes Your WhatsApp Backup Heavy
The backup feature on WhatsApp allows switching from one device to another. However, if the backup file has GBs of data restoring it can take longer. Photos, videos, and music files are the common reasons for increasing backup size.
The pictures you receive, forward, or send using WhatsApp takes up most of the space, making filtering out duplicate images a must. Moreover, doing so will not only reduce backup size but will also decrease the backup restore time. But how do duplicate photos get accumulated in WhatsApp?
An image you receive on WhatsApp is saved in your WhatsApp images folder, while the ones you send are saved in a dedicated folder inside the images folder. Due to this, a photo you have received may also be saved in the sent folder. This fills up the photo collection with duplicates; making the backup size heavy.
Easiest Way to Reduce the Size of WhatsApp Backup!
The ideal solution to reduce backup size is to remove these duplicate photos. But the question is how to do it. Manually removing duplicate photos from your smartphone file manager can be difficult as there are no dedicated options. Also, sifting through each folder and selecting images manually can be painstaking.
However, the task can be simplified with a PC’s help and using a duplicate image cleaner like Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro.
It is a tool dedicated to finding and removing unwanted duplicate photos on your PC, external storage, Google Drive, and Dropbox. Also, it scans flipped and rotated images for duplicates. Here’s how you can use the tool to clean duplicates from your phone.
- Download and install Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro.
- Connect your smartphone to the PC and run the software.
- Click on Add Folder, navigate to your device & select the folder for scanning.
- Once you have mentioned the path, click on Scan for Duplicates. This will initiate the search for duplicate photos in the specified folder, in this case, your smartphone.
- Find the results once the scan is over. You can make changes to the results if you find anything odd.
- Mark and select photos to remove all the duplicates from your smartphone.
- After marking, click on Delete Marked to start the process.
- Give the process a little time to go through the deletion process. Once it is completed, the software gives you a completion prompt too.
Once the process is over, disconnect your smartphone, go to your WhatsApp Backup Settings and tap on Backup now. This will allow your smartphone to create a backup of the optimized media files you now have on your smartphone, thanks to Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro. Once the new backup is available, you can compare the size of the files!
In addition, if you want, you can also use the tool on your Android and iOS devices.
Declutter Your WhatsApp Images for a Smaller Backup Size!
Backup Files with zero duplicate photos tend to perform faster. Use Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro on your PC to make the most of your smartphone images, storage, and WhatsApp backup.
That brings us to the end of this post. I hope you find it helpful. Try the shared way and leave a line on how it helped you. Catch you at the next one!
How To Get Rid Of Duplicate Photos Saved In Different Image Formats
Fix Windows 11 Duplicate Photos Problem
How to Remove Duplicate Photos from Dropbox
What Is the Difference Between Duplicate Photos and Similar Photos