Some of us save our important files on the desktop to easily access them. What if you accidentally delete or lose them? Worried? How would you get deleted desktop files back? Different ways are using which deleted files can be recovered. The easiest and most trusted way is to use Advanced Disk Recovery. It is a Windows recovery application that helps restore deleted desktop items quickly. The tool is compatible with all versions of Windows operating systems.
Where Are Desktop Files Stored?
By default, Windows stores your Desktop folder in your accounts %UserProfile% folder (ex: “C:\Users\Username”). If you want, you can change the storage location.
How To Recover Deleted Desktop Files in Windows 10
This post will talk about different methods to recover deleted PC files. Let’s have a look at each of them one by one:
Method 1: Restoring Data from the Recycle Bin on Windows 10
If you remove the files by hitting or clicking Delete, they are now in the Recycle Bin. To recover data from the Recycle Bin, take these steps:
- Double-click the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop to launch it.
- Locate the files you wish to recover in the Recycle Bin window.
- Select the file and then click Recover the chosen items or restore all things to restore them.
Method 2: Getting Back Files Using Restore Previous Versions Option
Note: This method will only work if you have enabled the Restore Previous Versions option.
- Go to the correct location where the files were saved by you before they were deleted.
- Right-click the folder & pick the “Restore earlier versions” option.
- This is how you can get back the earlier versions of the files you lost. However, if the “Restore prior versions” option; is not visible, you can enable it in the future by following the steps below:
- In the Windows search bar, type Control Panel.
- Go to System
- Next, click System Protection from the left pane.
- This will open a new window > choose the drive you want to enable the System Protection option > and click Configure.
- Click the radio option next to System Protection in the System Protection option in window.
- You will now see “Restore prior versions” in a specific folder. So, follow the actions outlined to get back older versions.
Method 3– Recover Lost Files Using File History
If you have enabled File History, you have a good chance of being able to get back deleted files.
Note: You can skip this method if the option is not enabled.
You can search for backups and retrieve missing data. Follow the steps mentioned below to retrieve deleted files on Windows 10.
- Connect the backup storage device to your Windows computer.
- To access Settings, press the Windows & I key > Update & Security.
- Select Backup.
- Click Navigate to Backup and Restore.
- Click the Restore My Files button.
- If it is unavailable, select the appropriate disk to restore the backup & follow through with the commands.
Method 4– Using Command Prompt, Recover Deleted Files
Using the Command Prompt, you can recover deleted data on Windows. Furthermore, you can restore your data even when Recycle Bin is emptied. To do so, attach an external disk to your PC. The attribute command for this is as follows:
- Run elevated Command Prompt.
- Enter the command chkdsk D: /f. (Here, D is the drive letter for the External drive. Replace it with the drive letter of your external drive.)
- To start the scanning, type Y > hit the Enter key.
- Enter after typing D: (DRIVE LETTER).
- F:>attrib -h -r -s /s /d *. *
What the following stands for:
-r Read-only property.
–s Assign a system attribute to the specified files
–h Add the ‘Hidden’ property to the files you’ve chosen.
‘/S’ searches the supplied path, including subfolders.
‘/D’ stores process folders.
This will create a folder on the linked external device & which will have the recovered files in .CHK format. The format can be modified, and files can be wherever you like.
Method 5: Using Data Recovery Software to Restore Deleted Files
When it comes to recovering accidentally erased data, Advanced Disk Recovery is one of the best hard disk recovery software. Even if you have performed a shift delete operation to delete a file or folder on the Windows PC, you can restore it if the files are not being overwritten. Download it by clicking the button below:
- Install and run the Advanced Disk Recovery software on your Windows computer.
- Choose the folder or file from which you wish to recover a deleted file or folder.
- Now, choose Drive and press the ‘Start Scan Now button.
- You’ll be given two options: Quick Scan & Deep Scan.
- Quick Scan will scan master file tables quickly, while Deep Scan will scan them thoroughly.
- When the scan is finished, you’ll see a list of deleted files in red. Click the ‘Recover’ option after selecting any deleted file.
- Choose a different location to save the file/folder after recovery & press the ‘OK’ button.
So, if you’re fortunate enough, you can get back your files. However, if you are short on time or not a DIY person, use Advanced Disk Recovery, the top data recovery tool for Windows that helps retrieve erased files on Windows.
FAQ-Recover Deleted Desktop Files
Creating a backup is your best bet if you don’t want to lose your essential data. This can be done on an external disk or cloud storage like Dropbox or Google Drive to secure your data. In addition, enable the File History option to secure your files.