While Windows 10 is better than the older operating system versions, some issues annoy users. IDT High-Definition Audio Codes problem occurs after upgrading to Windows 10. However, there’s nothing to worry about, as there are different ways to fix –
“Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. IDT High-Definition Audio CODEC
A device attached to the system is not functioning.”
This post explains all of them one by one. So keep reading the troubleshooting article and follow the step-by-step instructions.
Workable Ways To Fix IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Driver Issue
Fix 1 – Reinstall The IDT HD Audio CODEC Driver
Usually, when something is wrong with the CODEC driver, you face issues with audio. We suggest reinstalling the IDT HD Audio CODEC driver to fix the problem.
To learn how to do that, follow these steps:
- Right-click the Windows Start icon and select Device Manager from the context menu.
- Double click the Sound, video, and game controllers category.
- Look for the IDT Hight Definition Audio CODEC > right-click > Update Driver.
- Select Browse my computer for driver software.
- Click Let me pick up a list of device drivers on my computer > and click Next to proceed.
- You will now see two models – High Definition Audio Device and IDT High Definition Audio CODEC.
- Click the High Definition Audio Device > Next.
- When you get a warning message, click Yes to move ahead.
- This will reinstall the CODEC driver. Restart the computer to apply changes.
Fix 2 – Install The CODEC Driver In Compatibility Mode
Some drivers available for the older versions of Windows are compatible with Windows 10. Therefore, you can try installing the IDT HD Audio driver in compatibility mode to fix the issue. To do so, follow these steps:
- Visit the manufacturer’s website to download the latest audio driver version corresponding to your Windows version.
- Go to the location where you have saved the setup file > right-click on it and select Properties.
- Click the Compatibility tab > select Run this program in compatibility mode for:
- Select the older version of Windows > Apply > Ok from the below menu.
- Run the setup and follow on-screen instructions.
- Restart the PC to save changes.
Now check the sound; it should be working.
Read Here- How to Fix Realtek Audio Issues in windows 11, 10
Fix 3 – Automatically Update Audio Driver Using Advanced Driver Updater (Recommended)
Reinstalling the HD Audio CODEC driver manually and installing the update from the manufacturer’s site can be overwhelming. Therefore, if you want to skip this tedious task and update the driver without trouble, use Advanced Driver Updater, the best driver updater software.
Once the driver updater is installed, you can easily find and update the problematic drivers in just a few clicks. Also, you don’t have to worry about installing incorrect or wrong drivers. To use the tool, follow these steps:
- Download and install Advanced Driver Updater.
- Run the driver updating software and click Start Scan Now.
- Advanced Driver Updater, in no time, will list all the outdated drivers.
- To update the IDT Audio CODEC for free, click the Update driver link. However, for registered users, the Update All feature works. Using it, you can update the Audio and other outdated drivers.
- Restart the PC to save changes and then check the audio problem should be solved.
The registered version of Advanced Driver Updater offers technical support and a 60-day money-back guarantee.
Fix 4 – Set the Audio Service To Automatic
If updating the driver, running in compatibility mode, etc., nothing has worked, try setting the service to Automatic.
- Press Windows + R and open the Run window.
- Type services.msc and click Ok.
- Look for IDT service > right-click > Properties.
- Startup Type > Automatic > Apply > Ok.
- Reboot the system to check if the bug is fixed.
The IDT High Definition CODEC issue is a common problem faced by Windows 10 users. We hope using the above fixes and updating the drivers; you can fix the issue with the audio CODEC. To keep drivers up to date and avoid facing such issues, we suggest using a driver updater like Advanced Driver Updater. Please let us know which method worked for you. However, if you know of any other method that has worked for you, share the same with us. Also, leave us your feedback in the comments.
How To Fix AMD High Definition Audio Device Not Plugged In – Windows 11, 10
How To Update Audio Drivers on Windows 10
How to Download and Update Realtek HD Audio Manager on Windows PC
How To Fix Realtek Audio Driver not Working