Here are the best ways to update USB Mass Storage device drivers.
External devices, like USB flash drives, hard drives, SD cards, etc., that we use to store and transfer data are known as mass storage devices. USB mass storage device drivers Windows 10 are required to make the PC recognize these.
In the absence of the drivers connecting USB mass storage devices becomes difficult. Therefore, keeping USB mass storage device drivers updated is recommended to avoid issues like USB devices not being detected.
What is USB Mass Storage Driver?
It is software designed to allow a computer to interact with external or internal storage devices like flash drives, external hard drives, and other removable media connected to USB.
Why is the USB Mass Storage Device Driver Not Showing or Working?
The issue might result from outdated, corrupt, or missing driver files. To fix it, you need to update the drivers.
This article shares the quick and easiest ways to update the USB mass storage device driver on Windows 10, 11, 8, and 7.
Fastest Way to Update USB Mass Storage Controller Driver
The main reason behind any device error is outdated or corrupt drivers. So, we recommend keeping drivers updated. To perform this task quickly, we suggest using Advanced Driver Updater. The driver updating utility is safe to use, and it automatically scans the computer for hardware and operating system configuration. Moreover, it takes a backup of old drivers before updating to the new ones. Also, Advanced Driver Updater comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
Download Advanced Driver Updater From Here
Now that we know how to update the USB Mass Storage driver automatically let’s not waste time and move to other methods.
How To Download USB Mass Storage Device Driver for Windows 11 & 10
Below are the ways to download the update to the device driver for Windows 11,10,8,7.
Method 1: Download USB Mass Storage Device Driver through PC Manufacturer’s Website
If you like doing things your way, visit the manufacturer’s website to look for the latest driver update. Every device manufacturer, from time to time, adds the functionality and fixes known issues, and releases driver updates. This helps run updated drivers easily.
However, the drawback of manually downloading driver updates is that you must collect device and operating system information. Also, the chances of downloading and installing incorrect driver updates increase.
Follow these steps:
1. Visit the PC manufacturer’s website.
2. Hit the Support tab > select Software & drivers.
3. Look for the USB mass storage device driver update
4. Search for the model of your PC/laptop.
5. Cross the selected operating system and its bit.
6. To start the driver update process, click the Download option.
7. Wait for it to finish, and double-click the setup file for the USB mass storage driver.
8. Follow on-screen instructions to install the USB mass storage driver on Windows 10.
Read Here- How to Install USB 3.0 Drivers on Windows 10
Method 2: Use Device Manager to download the USB Mass Storage Driver
Alongside visiting the manufacturer’s website, you can use in-built driver management software, i.e., Device Manager. This will help get the USB mass storage driver updated on Windows 11,10,8,7.
Here are the steps you need to follow to update mass storage device drivers in Windows 11.
1. Press Windows+X > Device Manager.
2. Double-click Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand it.
3. Right-click the USB mass storage device > Update driver.
4. Select, Search automatically for updated driver software.
5. Wait for Windows to look for an update and install the USB mass storage device driver update on Windows 11.
6. Restart the PC to apply changes and run the updated USB mass storage device driver on Windows 11.
Method 3: Updating the Download Mass Storage Driver Via Windows Update
When the OS is updated, alongside updating the missing and corrupt system files, Windows also downloads updates for outdated drivers. That said, updating Windows also helps update the mass storage controller driver Windows 7.
To learn how to update Windows and update drivers, follow these steps:
1. Press the Windows + I keys > Update & Security.
2. Click the Windows Update option in the left pane > click Check for updates from the right side of the window.
3. Wait for Windows to look for available updates. Make sure you are connected to the internet.
4. Download and Install the updates.
5. Restart the PC to apply changes and run the latest USB mass storage device driver, Windows 11.
Method 4: Download the USB Mass Storage Device Driver Automatically (Recommended)
If you think the above steps are too much work for you and lack technical expertise. Or you don’t want to risk downloading an incorrect driver update; we have covered you. You can use Advanced Driver Updater to update the device driver Windows 11 automatically. It is one of the best and most popular tools.
Also, it takes backup before updating drivers and offers a money-back guarantee. Not only this, using either of the versions, Free or Registered, you can update outdated drivers.
However, there’s a catch. The free version allows updating one driver at a time. In comparison, the registered version allows updating all outdated drivers in a few clicks. Follow these steps to use this excellent driver updating software and update the USB mass storage device driver Windows 7.
1. Download and install Advanced Driver Updater
2. Launch the tool and hit the Start Scan Now button.
3. Wait for Advanced Driver Updater to check for system configuration and device details.
4. Once done, you will get a list of outdated drivers.
5. Update them to avoid any issues. If you are using the trial version, simply click Update Driver next. However, if you are using the registered version, you can update all outdated drivers at once.
6. Restart the PC to apply changes, and that’s it; this will update the USB mass storage device driver.
Read This- How To Update USB Drivers On Windows 10?
Method 5: Change Power Management Settings
Sometimes USB drive power settings can also cause an issue. Therefore, you need to ensure that the setting is enabled. For this, follow the steps below:
- Open Device Manager.
- Double click Universal Serial Bus controllers > right-click the USB storage device you are using > select Properties.
- Click the Power Management tab > uncheck the box next to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power > Ok.
Method 6: Modify Registry Settings
If the above fixes didn’t help, try altering UsbStor values in the Registry editor. Before that, remember to take a backup of the registry. To do so, follow these steps:
- Press Windows + R and open the Run window.
- Type regedit > hit the Enter key.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UsbStor
- Change the value of Start tp 3. Right-click Start > Modify > change the value.
This will help fix USB mass storage device driver issues on Windows 7.
If any problem persists or you have questions regarding Advanced Driver Updater, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
Wrap Up –
We hope the article meets your needs. Also, the methods explained can be used by any. However, if you are a beginner, we suggest using Advanced Driver Updater to update the USB mass storage device driver on Windows 11/10/8/7. It is the simplest yet most effective way to update the drivers and solve problems caused due to outdated drivers.
How to Protect Computers From Infected USB Devices
How to Download And Update Lenovo USB Drivers
How to Recover Files from a Corrupt or Unresponsive USB Flash Drive
How to Download USB PnP Sound Device DriversSound Device Driver
How to Download Apple Mobile Device USB Driver for Windows 11,10,8,7