PC gaming has become extremely convenient and enjoyable with the available resources. You can have the best graphics card to support the visuals and the best processors for the smooth running of the game. Furthermore, you can use a gaming console or connect a PS4 controller to enhance the gaming experience on a PC. However, there are certain situations where the controller does not work on a PC. If you are also stuck in a similar situation and are unable to connect the controller to your PC, you are at the right place.
This blog will help fix the PS4 controller not working on a PC.
Sounds good? Well, then, let’s get started!
Why is the PS4 Controller Unable to Connect To the PC? How to Fix?
With haptic feedback and precision, the PS4 Dualshock controller offers a perfect gaming experience. However, if it is not connecting to your PC or your PC cannot detect the PS4 controller via Bluetooth. In both cases, there are chances that the driver compatibility is causing the issue.
So, before jumping to the ways you can troubleshoot the issue, ensure that your PC has suitable controller drivers installed. How to do that?
Well, if you go for it manually, there is a chance that you get lost in the steps, as updating drivers manually is not for everyone. If you are into gaming and need to learn more about Device Managers and drivers on your PC, do not worry, there is a solution for you too.
Advanced Driver Updater, yes, the driver updating software scans your PC for outdated drivers and fetches quality updates, and installs them automatically.
You need not worry about checking for updates and sifting through drivers to find the perfect file; everything is done by the tool. To give you a better perspective, here’s how the tool works –
- Download the application setup file from the button below and install it in just a few simple steps.
- After installing, run the application. You will find a scanning option named “Start Scan Now.” Click on it, and the tool will start looking for outdated drivers.
- Once the scan is over, you can see the list of drivers that require updates on your PC. Update the PS4 controller drivers or PS4 Bluetooth drivers.
- Click on Update All and let the software update all your outdated drivers at once.
Restart your PC after the application has finished working. Try reconnecting the PS4 controller. It will connect and work smoothly with your PC.
Please note that this is a preliminary step. To ensure that a faulty driver is not causing the error, you must follow the other ways explained below.
Let’s move on to the ways you can use to troubleshoot and fix other errors causing the PS4 controller to malfunction on your PC.
Ways to Connect Your PS4 Controller to PC Without Errors
Once you know that the drivers are not an issue or you have fixed the driver issue using Advanced Driver Updater, try the following ways to connect the controller.
1. PC Does not Support the PS4 Controller
If you are using Windows 10, your PC will not support the PS4 DualShock controller. You need a third-party application like DS4Windows on your PC. Using the DS4Windows application, you can not only connect the PS4 but can also configure the controller to its best potential. Here’s how the tool can help –
- Download DS4Windows and install the application on your PC.
- Set up the installed application. It will take a few minutes as all you have to do is follow the instructions on the screen.
Note : If you have never used DS4Windows before, choose the AppData profile when the application asks.
- After setting up the application, you must install the drivers to support DS4Windows. The application setup has the drivers onboard, which means it is easy to install.
- Not to mention, Advanced Driver Updater helps in keeping your DS4Windows drivers updated.
- Once the application is set up, your Windows 10 PC supports a PS4 DualShock controller.
2. Try Connecting the Controller Using USB Port
If your PC is using an older version of Bluetooth or you have added the Bluetooth functionality using an external adapter, the PS4 controller might not be able to connect. Do not worry, as you can use a USB cable to connect.
Make sure you have Steam or DS4Windows to support the controller before connecting the device.
Here’s how you can do that!
- If you have connected the USB directly to the PC for plug-and-play, remove it, as it will not work.
- Open Steam and go to settings. In the settings, you can find Controller settings.
- The Controller Settings have options for input controllers. There, click on the check box for PS4 configuration support.
- Save the changes made and connect the USB to your PC. This time, steam will recognize it as a controller.
- Set it up, choose the desired button configuration, and enjoy your gameplay.
With the help of these two ways, you can make the controller run on your PC. The crucial thing here is to ensure that your PC has updated drivers, as the above techniques will only work if the drivers for your USB controllers are available.
This brings us to the end of the blog. I hope using these methods, you can connect your PS4 DualShock controller to your PC and fix the not working issue. If you have come across any other way that you want to share with our readers, leave them down in the comments section! Good luck!
How To Update Xbox Controller Drivers on Windows 10 Easily!
How To Download & Update Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller Driver
How To Download and Install SMBus Controller Driver for Windows
How To Download Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver