You connected your Xbox One Controller to your Windows 10 PC, however, to your surprise you are unable to play games using the controller. Since Windows is said to automatically download and install the driver for the controller. Ever wondered why this happens?
One of the common reasons for this problem is missing or outdated Xbox controller driver Windows 10. The best way to fix this problem is to update your Xbox controller driver. This post, explains how that can be done in the easiest way possible.
Fact: Windows 10 automatically installs the driver for devices as you connect them to the computer. However, there are chances that Windows doesn’t install the driver. In such cases, you will need to update the drivers on your own and this can be done both manually and automatically.
Here we will explain both ways you can choose the one that is easiest for you.
How To Update Xbox Controller Drivers
Method 1: Manually Update the Controller Driver via Device Manager
If the controller driver doesn’t get automatically installed, you can update it manually through Device Manager. To learn how to do that, follow these steps:
1. Press Windows + X > Device Manager.
2. Look for Microsoft Xbox One Controller category.
3. Double click to expand it. Right-click on it > select Update driver.
(If you are running a lower version of Windows 10, you will get the option Update Driver Software).
4. You will get two options select Search automatically for updated driver software.
5. Wait for Windows to look for the driver update and install it. It will be done in the background.
6. When done, restart the PC and then try to use the Xbox One Controller. It should work.
However, if manually updating the driver seems difficult, you can use the driver updating tool to update the driver. To learn how to use it, read the next method.
Method 2: Automatically Update the Xbox Wireless Adapter Driver Using Advanced Driver Updater.
If you don’t have the technical skills, time, or patience to update the driver manually, you can use Advanced Driver Updater.
Advanced Driver Updater will automatically determine system configuration and show the compatible driver accordingly. You don’t need to know the exact system details to use it. Most importantly, the risk of downloading, updating, and installing the wrong driver is also removed when using Advanced Driver Updater.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the registered version of Advanced Driver Updater. However, when using the registered version, you can update the drivers in just 2 clicks, while FREE version, you need to update each driver individually.
Here’s how to use Advanced Driver Updater
1. Download and install Advanced Driver Updater.
2. Run Advanced Driver Updater.
3. Click Start Scan Now; this will allow Advanced Driver Updater to scan your windows PC and detect sticky or outdated drivers.
4. Click the Update Button next to the Xbox Controller driver to update it. However, if you have activated the product, click Update All.
Using either of the ways, you can update the driver for your Microsoft Xbox One Controller on Windows 10.
Additional Tip – How to update Xbox One Controller wirelessly?
You can update your Xbox One controller wirelessly if your controller is purchased during or after June 2015. To check, turn around and see if there’s a 3.5-mm port at the bottom. If you have it you can update the controller wirelessly.
In addition to this, to update your headset connect it to the stereo headset adapter.
1. Turn on Xbox One controller > press the Xbox button > System > Settings.
2. Click on Devices & streaming > Accessories. Choose the controller you wish to update.
3. Click on Device info > select Firmware version box > Update Now.
This will update the Xbox One controller. Besides this, we suggest updating the driver. You can do this manually through Device Manager or can use a driver updating tool. Below we will explain how to update your controller driver manually and automatically.
I hope the tips help update the Xbox One Controller driver on Windows 11 & 10. If you have any suggestions or questions, please leave your comments below. For any product-related questions, you can send an email to email@example.com.