Usually created unintentionally, duplicate photos are one of the most common reasons for storage space issues. It also leads to slow PC performance and lag in response to various commands by the system. If you are experiencing similar issues, duplicate photos might be the reason. Follow the step-by-step instructions in the blog post to look for duplicate images saved on the system and deduplicate photos on Windows 11 and other Windows operating systems.
Common reasons why duplicate pictures get created
- You copy the same image multiple times.
- Restore backup multiple times.
- Save images in different folders and forget about them.
- The copy and paste function was interrupted.
- Download the same image multiple times.
Now that we know the reasons, let us learn ways to deduplicate photos on Windows.
Best Ways to DeDuplicate Photos on Windows
Deleting duplicate images can get difficult if you don’t know where to look for them and how to delete them. Therefore, here, we explain manual and automatic ways to identify and remove duplicate images.
Note : The manual way to find and remove duplicate images will be time-consuming, and there are chances that duplicate images might be left on your computer. Therefore, if you are looking for an easy way to find and remove duplicate pictures, we suggest using Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro.
Why Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro?
Foremost, Windows does not have a built-in way to detect and delete duplicates.
Developed by Systweak Software, Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro, as the name suggests, is a powerful duplicate image finder tool. The software is compatible with Windows, Mac, and iOS; anyone can use it. Anybody, from a novice user to a professional, can use it to deduplicate images. Also, it helps detect similar images and look for duplicate photos even when they are flipped and rotated. Moreover, it allows scanning all image formats and even gives an option to mark duplicate images for cleaning automatically.
Way 1: Deduplicate images automatically using Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro.
- Download, install, and run Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro.
- Add a folder or photos to scan. Alternatively, you can drag and drop the photos.
- Select the area you wish to scan. You can scan PC, Google Drive, Dropbox, Picasa Library, Lightroom Classic and Photo Organizer.
- After selecting the area to scan, select from the comparison method, Exact Match or Similar Match, and customize the scan options.
- Next, click Scan for Duplicates and let the scan finish.
- Preview scan results.
Note: You can change the Matching Level after the scanning.
- Use the Auto Mark option to automatically mark duplicates, leaving one in each group unselected.
- Click Delete Marked to proceed and deduplicate your photo collection.
Way 2 – Manually Deleting Duplicate Photos Using File Explorer
File Explorer is the default file manager provided by Windows. It helps organize files, and from here, you can find and delete duplicate photographs.
- Press Windows + E to launch File Explorer.
- Open the folder you know has duplicate or identical images.
- In the search field box, type kind: pictures.
Note : To identify specific file format after typing kind: pictures type: JPEG. You can replace JPEG with other file formats.
- You’ll now be able to preview all the images saved in the folder.
- Change the viewing mode if you want by clicking the View tab and select the option of your choice.
- Right-click on space and select Sort by Size or Name.
- Preview and compare photos. Select the duplicate ones > and click the Delete button.
Tip : Never open the Program Files, Windows, and PrefLogs folder when searching for duplicates as deleting any file from these folders might make Windows non-functional.
Wrapping up –
With the help of these simple steps, you can deduplicate photos on your Windows. If you are looking for a less time-consuming and accurate way give Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro a try. We hope you found the blog post helpful. Please share your feedback in the comments.
Next Read :