Pictures are a great way to preserve memories. However, with time, as the number of images increases, duplicate photos accumulate and take up storage space. This happens due to our negligence and other reasons like downloading the same file multiple times, restoring the same backup, etc, making getting rid of them important. Most people think it is easy to manage duplicates, but this is only true when only a handful of images exist. As the number of photos increases, finding duplicate images in a folder and getting rid of them gets tricky.
Luckily, this can be done with and without using duplicate image finder software. The former is more effective and accurate as it will be done by a professional duplicate photo finder tool, while the latter is time-consuming, and the chances of making a mistake are great. The duplicate finder and removal tool also helps scan Dropbox, Google Drive, Picasa Library, and Lightroom Classic and assists in organizing photos with Photo Organizer.
To use this amazing software and find duplicates, click the button below to download Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro.
How To Find Duplicate Photos For Free – Without Software
Part 1 – Reasons Why Duplicate Photos Pile Up
- The same photos are backed up multiple times.
- Multiple downloads of the same file.
- File sharing.
- You save the same file with a different name each time in a new folder.
- Data sync is enabled.
- Error while copying pictures.
- You keep both original and edited photos.
Part 2 – Why you should find and remove duplicate images?
Having the device filled with duplicates saved in different locations is like a nightmare come true. This is because duplicates make organizing albums difficult, and worst of all, they take up disk space, affecting the performance of your device, be it a Windows computer, Mac machine, Android, or iPhone. In addition to this, you might experience the following issues:
- Photo syncing will take time and will consume a lot of bandwidth.
- Cloud backup will take a lot of time
- You will run out of space both on the device and the cloud.
- Security scan will take longer than expected.
These reasons make it vital to find duplicate images in a folder and eliminate duplicate and similar images. Below, we explain how you can do it using Duplicate Photos Fixer, an effective software, and manually without using software.
Part 3 – Finding and Removing Duplicate Photos Manually and Using a Sofware
Method 1 – Using File Explorer (Manual Method)
File Explorer is a Windows built-in file management app that helps organize documents, photos, audio, video, and other files. Through it, you can detect and remove duplicate photos. However, using it will be time-consuming as removing duplicates directly is impossible. But with the help of some tricks explained below, you can identify and remove duplicate photos.
- Press Windows + E to open File Explorer.
- To find duplicate photographs, go to the Pictures folder > open it.
- In the search box, type kind: pictures and hit Enter key. You can see all the photos saved in the folder and subfolder.
If you want, you can specify the image format. To do so, type kind:=picture type: jpeg. This will list down only JPG images.
- Click the View tab > Extra Large icon > Details pane to view the thumbnail properly and quickly identify duplicates.
- To sort by name or size, click the Sort by drop and select the option.
- Select the images you want to remove and hit the Delete button.
Method 2. Finding and Removing Duplicate Photos using the Photos App
If you use the Photos app or Microsoft Photos, the successor of Windows Photo Gallery, to manage pictures and find duplicates, first disable the Linked Duplicates option.
Note : To improve the viewing experience and hide duplicates (if any), this feature is enabled by default.
To disable the Linked Duplicates option, follow these steps:
- Launch the Photos app or Microsoft Photos, depending on the version of Windows you are using.
- Go to Settings > and toggle off the button next to Linked duplicates.
- Next, head to the Collection tab > sift through the photos and compare them to find duplicates.
- Select the ones you don’t want and hit the Delete icon. This will help find duplicate images in a folder and remove the selected images.
Method 3 – Finding Duplicate Photos on Windows Automatically Using Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro (Recommended)
The above methods explain how you can identify and delete duplicates without software. However, these methods are time-consuming, tedious, and can be inaccurate if you don’t pay attention. Therefore, we recommend using Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro software. The duplicate photo cleaning utility saves you from sifting through the photo gallery with thousands of duplicate images.
Moreover, it automatically detects duplicate images from the selected location. You can scan for similar and duplicate photos saved on your PC, Google Drive, Dropbox, Lightroom Classic, Picassa, and even organize photos in different albums.
Also, you can preview scan results. So, what’s keeping you from using this excellent duplicate picture finder?
Features – Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro
- Scans for duplicates are saved in different image-type formats, including RAW.
- Allows scanning PC, external drive, and cloud storage for identical and duplicate photos.
- Uses a smart algorithm to detect duplicates & similar images by content.
- Quickly scans folders irrespective of the number of images.
- Free up space occupied by unwanted images.
- Allows moving duplicate images to the Recycle Bin or a selected path.
- Customizable scanning criteria.
- Exclude specific folders.
- Scan rotated and flipped images.
- Set matching level.
- Scan Google Drive, Dropbox, Picassa Library, and Lightroom Classic for Exact and Similar Matches.
- Preview images before deleting them.
- Automark duplicates.
- Selection Assistant for setting auto-marking rules.
- Scan multiple folders at the same time to locate duplicate photos.
- Grouped scan results.
How To Use Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro
Step 1: Download and install the software on your PC.
Step 2: Add the folder to scan or drag and drop photos. Connect it before launching the tool if you want to scan an external drive.
Step 3: Select Comparison Method. To scan for an exact match, choose Exact Match. However, we recommend using Similar Match to help detect the edited images. In addition, you can set the Matching level.
Step 4: Click Scan for Duplicates and wait for the scan to finish.
Step 5: Preview scan results and select the images to delete. Use the Auto mark feature if you have hundreds of thousands of similar photos. This will choose images automatically, leaving one in each group unmarked.
Step 6: Click Delete Marked, and that’s all. You will have a PC without any duplicate images.
FAQ-Find Duplicate Photos With or Without Software
Hassle-Free De-Duplication of Pictures
Cleaning duplicate pictures should be your first choice. You can use manual or automatic methods to achieve the task. Professional software Duplicate Photos Fixer is suggested to remove duplicates from any photo collection. We hope you like the information we’ve shared.