Do you use VPN to bypass geographical restrictions, anonymously browse the web, avoid ISP throttling and prevent your data from being hacked? Yes. Then you must wonder if a VPN, like other devices and services, can be hacked or not.
The answer to this question is tricky, as hacking a VPN is difficult because it uses OpenVPN or WireGuard protocols alongside a combination of AES encryption. This certainly makes hacking almost impossible however, as cybercriminals are known to take advantage of vulnerabilities, we can’t ignore the fact that by finding the VPN connection weaknesses, they can hack it.
In this guide, we will explain these vulnerabilities, the different ways a VPN can be hacked, what happens if the VPN is hacked, and how you can protect yourself.
Common VPN Vulnerabilities
- Outdated encryption algorithm
- Obsolete authentication methods.
- Outdated tunneling protocols.
- Authentication older than SHA-256
- Improper server and network management.
- Public DNS
- Data logs
Different Ways VPNs can be Hacked
Using the following methods, threat actors can hack a VPN connection:-
- By exploiting VPN protocol vulnerabilities.
- Cryptographic attacks.
- Take benefit of IP, DNS, or WebRTC leaks.
- Compromising a VPN server.
- Stealing encryption keys.
Must Read: How to Fix VPN Server May Be Unreachable Error
Writer’s Tip – Safe VPN You can Trust Using a no-log VPN that offers a kill switch and different protocols like OpenVPN and AES encryption helps minimize the risk of being hacked. We recommend Systweak VPN, which you can try risk-free for 30 days.
Writer’s Tip – Safe VPN You can Trust
Using a no-log VPN that offers a kill switch and different protocols like OpenVPN and AES encryption helps minimize the risk of being hacked. We recommend Systweak VPN, which you can try risk-free for 30 days.
How do VPNs get hacked?
To understand how VPNs get hacked, let’s first learn how VPNs work.
Brief Summary of the VPN working
- You download a VPN.
- Connect it to a server > and open a website.
- The VPN will now use the connection protocol to connect the device to the server and encrypt data.
- When this data reaches the VPN server, it will be decrypted, and the server will connect you to the website you entered the URL for.
- The VPN will then decrypt the data, and you will see all the website data.
To hack this process, the cyber attacker takes benefit of VPN vulnerability and compromises the data. This means they decrypt the data using a brute force attack before transmitting it to either end.
Popular VPN data breaches
One small mistake can lead to a major breach, even when it is a popular VPN service provider. Here are some examples.
Pulse Secure VPN Hack, NordVPN Hack
SuperVPN, Gecko VPN, and Chat VPN hack – This hack took place as the default database credentials weren’t changed.
What happens when VPN is hacked?
When your VPN is hacked, you can expect much more than data leaks and money loss. Here’s a list of risks you can expect if the VPN is hacked:
- A hacked VPN can enable cybercriminals to take over all the connected devices, as they can infect them with malware, spyware, ransomware, and other viruses.
- The credentials saved on the device are leaked, and anyone eavesdropping can access them.
- Hackers can use the compromised divide to steal credentials, money, identity theft, and commit credit card fraud.
- Once exposed to VPN hack, the device is open to surveillance.
- Hacked VPN connection can make you a victim of a Man-in-the-Middle attack.
So, what can be done when the VPN hack takes place? To know that, you will need to read the next section.
Must Read: Can A VPN Protect from Hackers? Know Your Tech
What to do when VPN is hacked?
If you are ever a victim of a VPN hack, follow these tips to stay safe from any damage.
- Using a compromised VPN is not a good thing. As soon as you know your VPN is hacked, stop using it. This will save your sensitive information from being stolen and distributed.
- VPNs have services running in the background. Therefore, when your VPN is hacked, cyber attackers collect all the information they can have their hands on to access data and devices.
- Keep a check on any news about your VPN. This will help you know what’s going on.
- Use Systweak VPN with no log policy, AES-256 encryption, strong security, a kill switch, and advanced security features.
Systweak VPN is a secure VPN that doesn’t give third-party apps unauthorized access.
Can a VPN Be Hacked – Wrap Up
With the help of this information, you can stay safe from a VPN hack and protect your data. Regardless of which VPN you choose, if you don’t keep a check on your online activities, you can be a victim of different threats. Therefore the best way to stay safe from any hack is to be vigilant and never use public Wi-Fi when making financial transactions or sharing sensitive information.
In addition to this, remember that compared to paid VPNs like Systweak VPN, a free VPN is prone to be attacked and easily bypassed by a hacker. Hence if you care about data privacy or eavesdropping, stop using untrusted VPNs or those that have already been hacked. Systweak VPN is a safe VPN that you can trust.
We hope we have explained things. If you have any questions, leave them in the comments section.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Using a VPN – YOU CANNOT MISS THIS
5 FAQs On Cybersecurity: How to Stay Away From CyberAttack