How does antivirus software work and protect our PC?
If this is on your mind, you are in the right place. Here, we will discuss how antivirus programs work, their benefits, and which is the best antivirus tool for your PC.
Antivirus software, as we all know, helps keep data safe from cybercriminals. They have been around nearly as long as viruses that call for their use. This software checks the web pages, files, folders, software, applications, connected devices, and each part of the system for infections. When a threat is detected, the antivirus or security tool running on the system blocks and removes it from the system. This gives the user peace of mind, as the computer virus designed to damage and infiltrate the operating system is taken care of by the antivirus you are using.
But how does antivirus software work?
How Does Antivirus Work?
Virus vs antivirus is a never-ending cat-and-mouse race. Hence, understanding how antivirus software detects computer viruses is a good idea.
Viruses are no different than a normal software programs. They operate similarly; however, their intent is not genuine.
Computer viruses are designed to harm your system and steal data. They contain a signature (fingerprint) that sets them apart from other genuine programs running on the system, making them unique and recognizable as a threat by the antivirus software.
Antivirus software to identify a file as genuine or infected scans the signature of each file. When a malicious pattern stored in the database is detected, the file is flagged as malicious. This is one way of detecting malicious files. But what about the latest viruses, details of which have not yet been added to the database?
Antivirus programs use heuristic detection to overcome this problem. This means instead of depending on one signature, they combine related ones and detect threats. Alongside, antivirus software also uses sandboxing. This means the antivirus software will run the file or software considered malicious and observe its behavior. It is classified as an infected file if anything different from normal is detected.
Signs your System is infected.
- Slow system performance
- Frequent crashes
- Data loss
- Unable to connect to the internet or open files
What does antivirus software protect us from?
- Spyware – information-stealing threats.
- Computer Viruses – unwanted programs that enter the system without the user’s knowledge replicate themselves thus affecting the system’s performance and user data.
- Worms – are malware replicating itself without human interaction and causing damage without attaching themselves to a software program.
- Adware – advertisement-supported software- is distributed within the software or forces users to install additional software to earn money.
- Phishing Attacks – a social engineering attack that steals user data, including credit card numbers and login credentials.
- Malware – short for malicious software is an umbrella term for viruses, worms, trojans, and other nasty threats that harm the system and its functioning.
- Trojans – a type of malware that disguises as legitimate software.
Besides, there are other types of threats like keyloggers, smishing, etc., from which an antivirus protects us.
Is Microsoft Defender not good enough for your PC?
Well, to some extent, Microsoft Defender does a good job. But to what extent, no one knows. Indeed, over the years, Microsoft has improved its security tool, which, once regarded as poor, is now much better. But can we rely on it to keep the system safe? Is it better than third-party antivirus apps like T9 Antivirus – today’s popular security tool for Windows?
Regarding free antivirus tools, Microsoft Defender is a much stronger contender than it was in the past. But when compared with paid antivirus tools, there are still caveats. The security tool that fully integrates with Windows 10 lacks essential features like web protection, real-time protection & scanning, exploit protection, and more.
Therefore, if you are looking for a security tool that offers all-around protection, try T9 Antivirus. This affordable security solution provides real-time protection and scans startup items for threats. Nonetheless, it also offers an ad blocker to install as an extension and avoid intrusive ads.
Information – When the SmartScreen filter offered by Microsoft’s browser Edge was put under the microscope, it failed to block phishing sites. It’s disappointing because phishing attacks are rising and are commonly used to steal financial and personal information. With that said, if you are looking for the best way to protect your data, we recommend using T9 Antivirus.
The downside of Windows Defender
While Windows Defender is a near to perfect security tool, it fails to offer –
- Ad Blocker for other browsers
- Password Manager
Most importantly, its database is not updated regularly, and sometimes, it has been found to block genuine processes from running.
T9 Antivirus – Best Alternative to Microsoft’s Windows Defender
Relatively new when compared with popular names like Norton, McAfee, and others, T9 Antivirus has managed to make its name. This security tool, in every aspect, is better than Windows Defender. It has higher threat detection rates, better web protection, ad blocker extension, and more.
Moreover, when a user tries to access any malicious site on any browser, T9 Antivirus blocks it and shows an alert message.
T9 Antivirus includes:
- Real-time protection
- Malware protection
- Exploit protection.
- Web protection
- Firewall protection
Also, it gives the option to optimize the PC, shred files, manage startup items, get Systweak VPN, and a password manager.
How to use T9 Antivirus?
To use T9 Antivirus and protect your PC from threats like malware, viruses, spyware, keyloggers, and others, follow the steps below:
1. Download and install T9 Antivirus.
2. Run the best antivirus tool to scan the system for infections.
3. Click the Scan Types option from the left pane to select the scanning mode.
The tool offers three scanning modes –
- Quick Scan – scans critical system areas for infections
- Deep Scan – scans folders, subfolders, and all the parts for threats. It is time-consuming.
- Custom Scan – gives users an option to select areas to scan that take much longer than Quick Scan.
Pick any to scan the system for threats.
Note : Deep Scan is in-depth, thorough & time-consuming. Therefore, we recommend using it when the system is idle.
4. Wait for the scan to finish.
5. T9 Antivirus will now list all the infected files and quarantine them.
6. You will get the summary once the scan is finished.
That’s it. Using these simple steps, you can keep your system secure. Also, note that T9 Antivirus offers real-time protection and runs in the background without interfering with any process. Unlike other security tools, it is light on system resources, and its database definition does not take up space on the system.
That’s why it is a recommended security tool. Overall, T9 Antivirus is a well-designed tool with an excellent and advanced malware scanner. With an impressive detection rate, this antivirus software for Windows is a must-try.
We hope you will give it a try. Do share your feedback and suggestions in the comments section. If you have any product related question, feel free to send an email at email@example.com