A comprehensive guide on how to update computer drivers.
Device drivers help the system interact with hardware like network adapters, Bluetooth, etc without them your PC or laptop won’t work. Hence, when you face problems with display, USB, graphics, printer, and other installed hardware, updating drivers is suggested. Also, to avoid working on a slow and sluggish PC, keeping the driver up to date is recommended.
Understanding this, today we are here with a how-to guide on how to update drivers on laptops and desktops.
How to update computer drivers?
Generally, when we install Windows updates, device drivers are updated. But there’s no guarantee that the latest driver update will be installed, or all drivers will be updated. Due to this, sometimes the hardware isn’t automatically detected, and you end up encountering Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) and other errors. This makes updating drivers essential.
To learn how to update PC drivers, follow the instructions step-by-step as explained in the guide.
Update Drivers On PC
Windows 11 & 10 offers several options to update drivers. We will walk you through these options and will help learn how to update my pc drivers.
Benefits of Updating Windows Drivers
Once the outdated drivers are updated, you can enjoy the following benefits :
- Boost system performance by 50%.
- Work on a stable and glitch-free system.
- Use advanced added to hardware components.
3 Best Ways to Update Drivers on PC
Tip:- Manually updating drivers is not difficult. But to do it correctly, you need time, patience, and a bit of technical knowledge. Also, if you download and install an incorrect driver, you might face some problems. Therefore, we recommend using a trusted driver updating tool to update drivers. For this, you can give Advanced Driver Updater a try. To learn how to use this tool, click here .
Note: You can follow these instructions to update drivers on Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, or XP.
1. Updating drivers via Windows Update in 11, 10 and other versions
Fact: Manufacturers take time to make the latest drivers available through Windows Update. Therefore, most of the time even when you run the latest Windows update not all drivers are up to date. Also, the drivers available via Windows Update are tested, verified, and signed by Microsoft first, this again delays driver updates.
To update drivers via Windows Update, follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + I to open the Settings window
2. Select Update & Security
3. Click Windows Update from the left pane > Check for Update (to check if any updates are available)
4. In case you are running an updated version of Windows, click View optional updates
5. Click the down arrow next to Driver updates and select the latest available update > Download and install.
6. Follow on-screen instructions to install the driver.
Note: After checking for updates, if you do not see the View optional updates option, Windows Update does not have any new drivers or updates currently.
2. Updating drivers via Device Manager
If the driver update isn’t available on Windows Update, you can try updating drivers manually via Device Manager. Doing so will give the latest driver update. To learn more about it, and how to update drivers on laptop via Device Manager, follow the steps below:
Tip: When you download an update from the manufacturer’s site, you get the instructions to install the update. However, if the driver update you downloaded is in the form of a zip file, you will need to first extract it and then install the driver using the steps explained below:
1. Press Windows + X > Device Manager
2. Double-click the main category of the driver you want to update.
3. Right-click the hardware > Update driver.
4. From the new window that opens, click the Browse my computer for driver software
5. Browse to the location where you have saved the driver file.
6. Select the folder where you have extracted the driver file > Ok
Note: To allow the wizard to find the correct .inf file, make sure the Include Subfolder option is checked.
7. Click the Next
Once the steps are followed step by step the wizard will scan, detect, and install the latest driver.
3. Automatically updating drivers using a third-party tool (Recommended)
If the above two steps seem a lot of work, and you don’t have time and patience go with the automatic way. Using Advanced Driver Updater, you can scan the system for outdated drivers and update them without collecting any information or heading to Device Manager.
This trusted reliable and professional driver updating tool for Windows automatically scans the system and shows the latest driver updates. With a huge driver database, it shows the most compatible and accurate drivers. To use it, follow the steps below:
1. Download and install Advanced Driver Updater.
2. Launch the driver updater tool
3. Now click Start Scan Now and wait for the scan to finish
4. Once the scanning is done, select the driver you want to update and click Update driver next to it.
Note: Advanced Driver Updater offers both trial and registered versions of the product. Using the trial version, you will have to update each driver individually. However, if you upgrade to the Pro version, you can update all outdated drivers at once by clicking on the Update All button. Not only this registered version comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
5. After updating the driver, restart the system. You should now not face any problems and will see an enhanced PC performance.
How to update drivers on PC?
We hope using the above steps you were able to update drivers on PC and we were able to answer how to update your drivers on PC. In case you face any problems or have any questions, feel free to drop them in the comments section. Also if you have any questions regarding Advanced Driver Updater we suggest you contact technical support at firstname.lastname@example.org