Has the touchpad on your device stopped working? It was working a few minutes back but is now not responding. If so, you are not alone. several other users have reported facing similar issues.
Here, we will explain how to fix the HID device Touchpad not working and how to update the I2C HID device driver on Windows 11 and 10.
The I2C HID (Human Interface Device) driver is a crucial Windows operating system component. It allows communication between the hardware components (such as touchscreens, touchpads, and other input devices) and the operating system. When its driver gets outdated, corrupted, or incompatible, issues with the touchpad are apparent. This post explains how you can update the driver manually and automatically and fix the issues you face as the driver is outdated or corrupt.
What is an I2C HID Driver?
I2C stands for Inter-Integrated Circuit, a synchronous serial communication protocol that allows multiple devices to communicate with each other over short distances. HID refers to Human Interface Devices that comprise various input devices like touchscreens, touchpads, and other interactive devices.
This driver is the bridge between the hardware components and the operating system, allowing seamless interaction and enabling the OS to recognize, configure, and control input devices that utilize the I2C protocol. Without this driver, touch-based devices may not work correctly. The driver is designed to work specifically with different versions of Windows operating systems. This is why Microsoft releases updates for this driver from time to time so that compatibility, stability, and performance are improved. These updates are typically delivered through Windows Update. However, the driver can be outdated if you fail to update Windows. Here, we will explain how you can update the drivers without updating Windows.
Common Issues Faced When I2C HID Driver Is Outdated
- Conflicts with other drivers or hardware components
- Device malfunctions or becomes unresponsive.
- The device can not be recognized or detected by the system.
- Certain features or functions of the device may not work due to compatibility issues.
- Instability or system crashes.
- Decreased security due to which system can be exploited by malicious software.
- The overall performance of the device may be compromised.
Why is it important to keep the I2C HID Driver Updated?
There are several reasons why you should keep the I2C HID driver updated.
Compatibility: Newer driver versions are compatible with the latest operating systems, ensuring seamless functionality.
Bug Fixes: Updated drivers often have fixes for known bugs or issues that could be causing problems with the device’s performance or functionality.
Security Enhancements: Outdated drivers may have known vulnerabilities patched when the driver is updated.
Improved Performance: Updated drivers offer better performance, which can lead to smoother and more efficient operation of the I2C HID device, and you can use new features that enhance the functionality or usability of the device.
Hardware Support: Updates may include support for new hardware or devices, allowing for a broader range of compatibility and fewer system crashes, conflicts, or other stability issues.
Enhanced User Experience: An updated I2C HID device driver gives users a smoother, more reliable experience.
Fixes Incompatibility Issues: If you’re experiencing compatibility problems between your I2C HID device and other software or hardware, an updated driver may resolve these issues.
Best Ways to Fix I2C HID Device Driver Issues
Method 1: Update your I2C HID Device driver automatically (Recommended)
If you are short on time or don’t have the technical skills to update the I2C HID Device driver manually, you can do it automatically with Advanced Driver Updater.
Advanced Driver Updater scans the PC for outdated drivers and finds the compatible and latest driver updates, allowing the user to decide whether to install the update. To use it and to update the driver, you don’t need to know what system your computer is running. Also, you don’t have to worry about installing an incorrect driver. Advanced Driver Updater handles all, and it also takes a backup before updating the driver, allowing you to roll back changes if anything goes wrong.
You can use its trial or paid version to update drivers. With the paid version, you can update all drivers in just 2 clicks; with the trial version, you can update one at a time. The paid version comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
To use Advanced Driver Updater, follow these steps:
1) Download and install Advanced Driver Updater.
2) Run Advanced Driver Updater and click the Start Scan Now button. Advanced Driver Updater will then scan your PC to find problematic drivers.
3) Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the missing or outdated drivers (this requires the paid version.) However, if you want to update the driver using the trial version, click the Update driver link next to the driver you want to update.
4) After updating the driver, restart the PC to apply changes.
This should help.
Method 2: Update your I2C HID Device driver manually through Device Manager
To update the driver manually through Device Manager, follow the steps below:
1) Press Win + X and choose Device Manager.
2) Double click Human Interface Devices category. If the I2C HID Device has a problem and is not functioning properly, you will see a yellow exclamation mark next to it.
3) Right-click on it and select the Update driver option.
4) Click the Search automatically option to continue updating the driver manually.
Windows will now scan the system for the driver update and will install it in the background. After the installation is finished, the issue with the I2C HID device driver should be fixed.
Method 3 – Reinstall I2C HID Device Driver
If updating the driver is not helping reinstall the driver to fix the issues with the touchpad so that it again works seamlessly. To reinstall the driver follow these steps:
- Press Windows + X and select Device Manager to open it.
- Double-click Human Interface Devices, right-click I2C HID Device driver and choose Uninstall device.
- Click Uninstall and confirm the operation.
- Restart the PC so that Windows can reinstall the driver. Now check the issue with the touchpad must be fixed.
Method 4 – Run a Disk Check
Sometimes where there are errors on the disk too you can face issues with the HID driver. To fix it follow these steps:
- Launch the elevated Command Prompt (in Administrator Mode).
- Type in chkdsk c: /f /r /x and press Enter. Here C is the drive letter for your system drive. If you have the operating system installed on another driver please change the drive letter.
If something is wrong with the hard drive, this command can fix errors.
Method 5 – Update Windows 11
Another way that will help fix the I2C HID Device driver issue is to update Windows to the latest version. To update Windows follow these steps:
- Press Windows + S and type Windows Update in the search bar.
- Open Windows Update settings and click Check for updates.
- If updates are available, download and install them on your PC.
- Restart the PC to apply the updates. The I2C HID Device driver should now work properly.
Using the above steps, you can easily update the I2C HID Device driver and fix the touchpad not working issues on Windows 11 and 10. You can try any of the steps to update drivers. However, if you are short on time go with Advanced Driver Updater to update drivers and keep them updated. Also, if you suspect that your disk might have bad sectors run the CHKDSK command, this will help fix several other issues. We hope you find the post helpful it will help fix the issues. However, if you have tried any other fixes, let us know in the comments.
Next Read –