Modern Warfare is not just a game; it’s an experience!
PC games have certainly leveled up since high graphic capabilities were introduced. If there’s one game that every action RPG enthusiast has played or wants to play, it has to be Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. It is a first-person shooter game that offers intense missions with excellent visuals to keep the players hooked.
Though Modern Warfare on PC is exquisite to play, there are some issues that users have observed. The biggest of them is Modern Warfare not launching or working. If you have also faced the issue and are hunting for a perfect way to fix the error, then you are definitely at the right place!
In this blog, let us look at some potential issues causing Modern Warfare to crash on your PC and how you can fix those errors. Without further ado, let’s begin!
Why is Modern Warfare 2 Crashing? How to Fix It!
There can be a lot of reasons behind Modern Warfare 2 crashing on PC. Let’s look at all the issues individually, along with a quick way to fix them.
Issue #1 – Your PC Does Not Meet the Required Specifications
To run any application or game, there are prerequisites that your PC should meet. These are the minimum system requirements to help your game run on your PC. For Modern Warfare 2 remastered, the minimum requirements are as follows –
- OS- Windows® 10 64 Bit (latest update)
- Processor- Intel® Core™ i3-6100 / Core™ i5-2500K or AMD Ryzen™ 3 120
- Memory- 8 GB RAM
- Graphics- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960 or AMD Radeon™ RX 470 – Or above.
- DirectX- Version 12
- Network- Broadband Internet connection
- Storage – 125 GB available space
Don’t forget that this is the minimum required specification, which means even if your PC has the same, you might face a few frames drops here and there. To run the game smoothly, here is the recommended gameplay specification.
- OS- Windows® 10 64 Bit or Windows® 11 64 Bit (latest update)
- Processor- Intel® Core™ i5-6600K / Core™ i7-4770 or AMD Ryzen™ 5 1400
- Memory- 12 GB RAM
- Graphics- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon™ RX 580 – DirectX 12.0
- DirectX- Version 12
- Network- Broadband Internet connection
- Storage- 125 GB available space
After understanding the specific requirements, you might have come to know what your PC lacks.
You should upgrade the missing components and then try to play the game. For those who do not know much about their PC requirements, you can use the following way –
- Press Windows + R to bring up the Run search box
- In Run, search for dxdiag.
- This will bring up a dialog box that holds all the information about your system. Simply check and match the available resources.
- Click on the next page to learn more about your GPU and sound specifications.
The only way to fix this problem is to know what you are missing and upgrade your PC.
Issue #2 – Damaged Game Files
The game files in the directory of your PC might get corrupted or broken. It is a common issue that often crashes the game quickly. However, you can not make assumptions unless you check their integrity.
Platforms like Steam and Battle.net have integrated ways of checking the game files for damage. Let’s look at how you can check the integrity of the gaming files –
On Steam –
- Once you have opened Steam, navigate to the library and select Modern Warfare 2.
- Right-Click on Modern Warfare 2 and Select Properties.
- In the Properties Window, you can find multiple options in the left panel.
- Choose Local Files from the available options.
- In Local files, you will find an option that says, “Verify integrity of game files.”
- Click on the options and let it run the process.
- Open Battle.net on your computer.
- Select Modern Warfare 2 and click on the gear icon next to Options.
- In the opened menu, you can find an option Scan and Repair.
- Use that option to scan your local game files and find out if there are any errors that you can fix with your system.
Use these ways to find out if you have damaged game files. The best part of these gaming clients is that they also have the solution. They automatically repair and replace the files, making the entire process smooth.
Issue #3 – PC Services & Firewall Error
Programs like games and third-party applications often come across as a threat in antivirus and Windows Defender. Since a third-party vendor develops these applications, the default installer and executor often report it as an external application. This might hinder with overall launching of the application. To fix it, follow these steps:
To deal with such an issue, you have two options;-
- Perform a clean boot that helps your PC refresh the processes and run the game smoothly
- Add the game launcher to the exceptions list of your Windows Defender.
To use the options here’s what you have to do –
To perform a clean boot –
- Press Windows + R to bring up the Run search box.
- In the Run Search box, type msconfig to open the system configuration.
- In the opened window, go to services in the top panel.
- Check the box that says Hide all Microsoft services. This way, you will not make any changes to Microsoft’s native services.
- Once you have done that, click on Disable all. This will stop all the services running in the background.
- Save the settings and then restart your PC. This will restart all the services again, making your system reboot from scratch.
To add Modern Warfare to your Windows Defender exceptions list
- Open the Start menu and search for Windows Defender Firewall.
- You can find the Allow an app through the Windows firewall option in the left panel. Click on it.
- Find Modern Warfare 2 in the program list and allow it.
These two ways can help you run your game smoothly. If these do not work, move on to the next step and the most common error that often causes games to crash.
Issue #4 – Outdated Graphics Drivers
The graphics drivers on your PC require regular updates to function properly. It is not a secret that drivers are among the most important components that your PC has, not only for graphics but all sorts of input and output devices.
If your PC has outdated graphics, chances are your GPU is not working properly, leading to Modern Warfare crashing on launch. You need to update the drivers.
If you have tried to follow the above technique, you already know that it is not easy to make changes to Windows programs. It is tedious and time-consuming, and the manual way to update drivers is no less.
Thankfully, you do have an automated option here. Advanced Driver Updater is a dedicated application that can help you update your drivers for GPU as well as all the other outdated ones that may cause trouble in the future.
You can download Advanced Driver Updater from here!
Using the software is as simple as running a setup to install an application. You just have to follow the instructions shown by the tool, and you will be good to go. To give you a perspective, once you have installed the application, just follow the given steps –
- Click on Start Scan now to initiate the search for outdated drivers on your PC.
- The scan will take a few minutes to analyze the existing drivers.
- Once the scan is complete, it will give you the option to update them all.
- Click on Update all and you are done!
It literally takes two clicks to update all the outdated drivers. Once you have clicked on update all the software downloads all the updates for the drivers, installs them on your PC, and gives you a prompt of completion. Simply restart the PC after the software is done and your Modern Warfare not launching issue will be resolved.
Most of the time, it is the drivers that cause the error, hence I personally recommend that you start with installing Advanced Driver Updater to check whether updated drivers are available or not. If they are, install them and you might not need to go through the other three techniques.
Hope the blog adds value and assists you in resolving the Modern Warfare not working error. Good luck!
Fix – No Sound Steam Games Windows 11/10
How to fix Elden Ring crash on startup
How To Fix Saints Row Not Launching On Windows 11,10 PC
Fixed – Valorant Keeps Crashing Issue On PC
How To Fix Slime Rancher 2 Crashing on PC