While working on the computer for long hours, continuous exposure to blue light can cause eye strain and disrupt sleep patterns. Microsoft introduced the Night Light function with Windows 10 Creators update in 2017. The feature that switches the screen to warmer tones is excellent. However, it sometimes stops working due to several reasons.
If you also encounter issues with the Night Light or cannot turn it on Windows 10 or 11. We’re here to help.
Common Issues with Night Light
- Night Light interferes with sleep mode.
- The Night Light automatically turns on or off.
- The Night Light feature is greyed out and appears to be dysfunctional.
Causes for Windows Night Light Not Working
- Recent Windows 11 update
- Outdated or corrupt display driver
How To Fix Can’t Turn On Night Light – Windows 10/11
Now that we know the problem and what can cause it, let us explain the various ways to fix the Night Light not working issue in Windows 11,10.
Fix 1. Check If Night Light is Enabled or Not
Before we learn the technical ways, let’s check if the Night Light feature is turned on or not. If not, follow these steps to get Night Light enabled:
- Press Windows + I keys to access Windows Settings.
- Click System > select Display.
- Go to Brightness & color section > enable Night Light by sliding the switch next to it.
- Double click on Night Light to adjust the settings & prevent it from the auto start and auto stop.
- To set a schedule, slide the button next to Schedule night light and Set hours to run Night Light to automatically at scheduled time.
- Restart the PC to see if Windows 10,11 Night Light is working.
Fix 2. Set Correct Date and Time
As reported by some users, wrong date and time settings can also be the reason for Windows 10,11 Night Light greyed-out issue. Therefore, to fix it, try checking the data and time.
- Press Windows + I to open Windows Settings.
- Select Time & language > click on Date & time.
- Toggle on both the options – Set time automatically and Set time zone automatically.
- Click the Additional settings section > Sync Now. This will automatically synchronize the system date and time.
Fix 3. Check Night Light Strength
Sometimes when the strength of Night Light is weak, you might face issues with Night Light not working with Windows 10. To fix it, make the following changes to the Settings menu.
- Open Windows Settings by pressing Windows + I.
- Click System > Display.
- Select Night Light and move the slider under the Strength menu. As you increase the strength level, you will see the difference.
Fix 4. Enable the Location Services
The Location service on the PC should be enabled to get the Night Light feature working in Windows 11. This helps know the time of day and evening. Therefore, if the Location service is disabled, you might face Windows Night Light grayed out. To enable the Location services, follow these steps:
- Open Windows Setting by pressing Win + I key.
- Select Privacy & Security > click Location under the App permissions.
- Enable Location services.
Fix 5. Automatically Update Graphics Card Driver
A corrupt or problematic graphics card driver can sometimes set off Night Light. We suggest updating the graphics card to the latest version to fix it. The best way to update the driver without any hassle is to use a driver updating tool like Advanced Driver Updater. To use it, follow these steps:
- Download and install Advanced Driver Updater.
- Run it and click Start Scan Now to scan the PC for corrupt drivers.
- Review the scan results and update the outdated drivers.
- Remember, if you are using the free version, you can update only one driver in a go using the Update Driver link. However, if you are a paid user, you can update all outdated driver by clicking the Update All button.
- After updating the driver, reboot the PC to apply changes.
Now check the Windows 11 Night Light should be working.
Read Advanced Driver Updater Review Here – Is it Safe to Use Best Driver Updating Utility
Fix 6. Turn the HDR Feature Off and On
To make pictures look vibrant, the HDR feature is used in Windows. However, sometimes this feature causes interference with Windows 11 Night Light & the PC doesn’t wake up from Sleep mode. Hence, we suggest toggling the switch off & on to fix the issue.
- Open Windows settings.
- Click System > Display.
- Disable and re-enable the Use HDR option. Now check the Night Light issue should be fixed.
Fix 7. Use Windows Registry to Modify Night Light Settings
If the above methods did not help, we suggest changing the Windows Registry to get Night Light mode working.
If you are unsure about making changes to the registry, please take a backup of the Windows Registry. Once you have the backup, follow the steps to make changes to the registry.
- Press the Win + R key to open the Run dialog box.
- Type Regedit and press the Enter key.
- Go to the following path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > CloudStore > Store > DefaultAccountCloud > Cloud
- Right-click the following folder
- Restart PC. The Night Light should now be working.
Must Read: – How To Update Drivers On PC
Night Light mode in Windows is an excellent feature that reduces eye strain. When the feature stops working, it creates problems for those who are habitual of using it. The above fixes will help fix the Night Light not working issue on Windows 11 and 10. However, if it doesn’t help, we suggest resetting Windows 11. To do so, press Windows + I open Windows Settings > click Update & Security > System > Recovery > Reset this PC.
So, before using the feature, ensure you have a backup of your data and proceed. Now try to use the Night Light feature; it should work fine.
We hope using the step explained above, you were able to fix the can’t use Night Light mode on Windows 11,10. Do share your feedback in the comments section.