Web security is an emerging concern for many users. With malware cases becoming the highlights, the threat of being attacked is haunting. But it is not like browsers and operating systems have not considered it.
Several security measures are put in place and can be implemented to make your online experience secure. There are VPNs, ad-blockers, safe browsing, etc. However, most users prefer investing in antivirus programs that offer dedicated web security features, thus creating an extra firewall to manage online threats.
That said, the question of whether you should spend dedicated resources on a web security program or rely on your antivirus software arises. Luckily, this post has the answer and helps explore whether relying on a PC antivirus for web security is a good option in 2023.
Without further ado, let’s get started!
How Does an Antivirus Program Protects You Online? Can You Rely on It?
First things first, YES! You can rely on antivirus for online protection. No matter if it is 2020 or 2023, the way PCs work will always depend on the user.
Antivirus programs have evolved a lot. It is the most successful and necessary program being used for decades now. Antivirus programs have come a long way from scanning simple offline data for viruses to stopping the havoc an online threat might cause.
Today, you can get your hands on some of the finest antivirus programs like T9 antivirus and get all-around protection for your PC and online activities.
Features of an Antivirus Program
Some of the core features of an Antivirus program that make it a reliable program for the web security of your computer are –
1. Dedicated Web Protection Program
Many antivirus software promises to protect your PC from viruses and malware but does not offer web protection. Therefore, before downloading or investing in any antivirus, ensure it covers web protection. You can find it mentioned in the features.
Image Courtesy – T9 Antivirus
2. Integrated Network Firewall
The firewall you have on your operating system is responsible for anything that happens to your operating system. Online threats can be minimized if you have an integrated antivirus firewall that scans the network for errors and protects your every move online. The firewall is a game changer as it can help block malicious programs and reduce the chances of any attacker gaining access to your personal information.
3. Safety From Intrusive Ads & Pop-ups
While surfing the internet, you often see tacky ads and pop-ups. These are implied scams you might end up clicking on, jeopardizing your PC’s protection. The best way to handle this is to have an antivirus that allows you to create a protective shield around your computer and stops these pop-ups and intrusive ads.You can have all these features in a single program, antivirus! You need not worry about anything else; thus, using antivirus for web security in 2023 is advised. If you want to upgrade your antivirus or get one, try out the free trial on T9 antivirus, as it offers all these features and much more!
What Options Do You Have Other than an Antivirus?
If you are not using antivirus and thinking about investing more in web security, here are some options –
- Go for a VPN – Using a VPN can give you personal protection, as information poaching is a common threat to any user online. It masks your IP and gives you good online anonymity to get over with tasks. It also ensures that the servers you access do not leave any infectious programs on your computer.
- Install Web Browser Extensions – There are dedicated web security and online protection browser extensions you can install. However, these browser extensions also work better with an antivirus. Still, knowing you have a safety measure in place is secure
- Only Use Home & Reliable Networks – This is more of a regular practice that you should implement. Always connect your PC to a reliable network, especially when not using a VPN. You might bring many infectious programs, spyware, and malware to your PC through open networks.
- Windows Firewall – You can rely on it as it keeps malicious programs away from your computer. However, it is more effective when it comes to offline protection and might only work once your PC is affected. You can scan and fix issues on your PC with a Windows firewall.!
You can opt for these practices to ensure your PC is safe using the internet.
Final Verdict: Should You or Should You Not?
Replacing a single program with 4 different practices makes no sense. Hence, even if it is 2023, you can rely on antivirus software for your online safety and web security. The only thing to take care of is you get the correct antivirus program.
Always remember that the antivirus you use should work on prevention rather than cure! If your antivirus program can provide real-time assistance and protection, the chances of your PC getting affected by online malware are reduced to zero.
I am using T9 antivirus (hence all the comparisons!) and am happy with how it keeps my PC protected and can stay stress-free.
With that, we have reached the end of this post. I hope you got your answer, along with suggestions for what you can do to strengthen your online security.
Next Read : How to Spot and Protect Yourself from Fake Antivirus Software