When you connect a smartphone or a tablet to a PC, do you face misconfigured drivers responsible for connecting to the PC error?
In this post, we will discuss this issue and discuss how to fix MTP not working and how to fix it.
What is an MTP USB Device?
Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) is a standard protocol for transferring audio files using Windows Media Player and similar applications. In most smartphones, it only works when your Android device is unlocked.
What is the Need for Updating MTP Driver?
If the MTP USB driver for Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 10, and Windows 11 fail to install or is broken, you can transfer easily media files from an Android phone.
Reasons for MTP USB device driver problem
- Incorrect MTP device setting.
- Outdated drivers.
- Issues with Android MTP driver
Different Ways To Fix “MTP device failed” Error – Windows
We’ll learn how to fix the MTP USB Device driver issue. Before proceeding, let’s check the hardware to ensure it has nothing wrong. Try connecting the device to an alternate USB port and see if you still encounter an MTP USB Device driver error. If the hardware is working fine, enable debugging settings and move ahead with fixes:
7 Ways To Fix MTP USB Device Driver Issue Windows 11
Fix 1: Update MTP USB Driver
If the hardware is working fine, there is likely some issue with the driver. To get the latest driver update for MTP USB, you can use Device Manager or go to the manufacturer’s website. The manual process is lengthy, and patience and technical skills. Also, searching for the latest driver update on your own involves risk. Using Advanced Driver Updater, you can avoid these issues.
To use the tool, all you need to do is, follow the instructions given below:
- Click the button below to get the driver updater for Windows that will help update unstable drivers.
Install and run the tool.
- To perform the scan click Start Scan Now and let the scan process finish.
- Analyze scan results and update the driver. If you are re-directed to the purchase page, use the Update driver link, as you can update one driver at a time using the FREE version. However, register Advanced Driver Updater and click Update All if you have the key and update all outdated drivers.
- Restart the PC after downloading, installing, and updating the driver.
Now try connecting the device; you should not face the problem. Also, you should be able to notice a significant performance boost on Windows.
Fix 2: Change UAC Setting Through Command Prompt
Sometimes the MTP USB error is caused by the UAC restriction. To modify it, follow these steps:
- Run elevated Command Prompt (as an administrator)
- Type the following command – net localgroup Administrators local service /add and execute it.
- Next, connect the Android device and check that the issue should be fixed.
Fix 3: Fix Corrupt Registry Settings
Broken or invalid registry entries can also cause MTP USB failed errors. Therefore, we will need to fix everything we need to fix the registry settings.
Note: Before making any changes to the Windows registry, backup all registry keys. For that, open Registry Editor using the Windows search. Go to File>Export. Now save the registry file (.reg file) to the desired location.
- In Windows search, type Registry Editor and open it.
- Up next in the address bar type following location – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control/Class
- Now, search for the Portable Device folder. For this, press Ctrl + F to get the search box > and start searching.
- Once the folder is located, check if there’s a key named UpperFilters. If you can find it > delete the key and reboot the PC.
In case there’s no such key, move to the next fix. This is not the solution for you.
Fix 4: Run Hardware & Device Troubleshooter
You must use the command line to run the hardware and device troubleshooter. To run it, follow these steps:
- Run Command Prompt as administrator.
- Type the following command – msdt.exe -id Device Diagnostic
- Now proceed and run the tool
- Restart the PC and see if it helps or not.
Fix 5: Manually Install wpdmtp.inf
- Open Run windows by pressing Windows + R.
- Type %systemroot%\INF.
- Search for wpdmtp.inf > right-click select Install
- Restart the computer > reconnect the device and see if it works or not.
Fix 6: Wipe Cache Partition
Note: Cleaning Cache Partition will only remove temporary junk none of your data or files will be affected.
- Restart the Android phone in Recovery Mode. To boot into Recovery Mode, press & hold the Volume down button, followed by pressing & holding the power button.
- When you see the Recovery Mode release the buttons.
If this doesn’t work for you, search for the steps to boot into recovery mode for the phone’s model number you are using.
- Select WIPE CACHE PARTITION using the volume buttons.
- After selecting the right option, press the Power button to perform the desired action.
- Restart your Android device and try connecting the phone to the PC.
Fix 7: Install MTP Porting Kit
If nothing has worked for you, try installing MTP Porting Kit to troubleshoot the MTP USB driver error. Follow these steps to install the kit:
- Visit Microsoft download center > download MTP Porting Kit.
- Run the installation file and follow the instruction on the screen.
- Connect the device.
This should solve the problem.
Note : If MTP Porting Kit is already installed, you need to update it.
Wrap Up –
MTP driver is needed in Windows. When it fails, you face issues when transferring files from media devices. To handle this, you can use Advanced Driver Updater to keep drivers updated. In addition, follow the steps mentioned above.
Also, in the comments section, please let us know which fix worked for you.