Want to remove OneDrive the cloud storage service from PC? Here’s how to uninstall it.
Microsoft, just like its rivals, wants to keep its users glued to the Microsoft ecosystem, because of this Windows 10 the latest operating system comes integrated with OneDrive. Enabled by default, if you sign on with a Microsoft account it starts automatically syncing your documents.
Moreover, it runs in the background and eats up system resources thus slowing down PC performance. This bothers users, if you too don’t like this behavior and want to remove OneDrive from the PC you are at the right place.
In this troubleshooting guide, we will explain the best and most effective ways to uninstall and disable OneDrive Windows 10.
What is OneDrive?
OneDrive is Microsoft’s cloud service that helps sync data between devices. Using it you can store, share, and protect files. Users using Microsoft accounts at the time of writing get 5 GB of free storage. This amount changes from time to time.
To sync data OneDrive runs in the background resulting in declined PC performance. Most users don’t like it hence, look for ways to remove OneDrive from PC. If you can relate to it, keep on reading and learn how to get rid of OneDrive.
How to Uninstall OneDrive on Windows 10
Windows do not make uninstalling OneDrive easy. However, after the release of Windows 10’s Creators Update now, you can easily remove OneDrive from PC.
Easiest and Quickest Ways to Uninstall OneDrive from PC
If you don’t have the time nor have the patience to uninstall OneDrive manually, you can use the Uninstall Manager offered by Advanced PC Cleanup. This best one drive uninstaller for Windows easily removes OneDrive without leaving any traces.
Also, it helps clean junk files, temporary files, and other unwanted data that slow down system performance and takes unwanted space.
To use it, follow the steps below:
1. Download and install Advanced PC Cleanup
2. Run the best app uninstaller.
3. Click Uninstall Apps options present in the left pane.
4. Wait for it to scan the system and list down installed applications.
5. Look for Microsoft One Drive and click the Bin icon.
6. When prompted, click Yes to complete uninstallation.
Following these simple steps will help uninstall OneDrive from Windows 10 easily. However, if you do not want to uninstall OneDrive using the third-party best uninstallation tool, you can do it manually.
To learn how to remove Microsoft OneDrive manually, read further.
Manual Ways to Uninstall OneDrive On Windows
If you are Windows 10 Home user, follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + R > type control > Ok
2. Here click the down arrow, next to View by > select Small icons
3. Click Programs and Features
4. Look for Microsoft OneDrive > hit Uninstall.
Windows will now uninstall OneDrive and the icon will be removed from the notification area.
In the future, if you want to reinstall OneDrive, head to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ folder (64-bit) and C:\Windows\System32 folder (32-bit) version of Windows 10. Look for OneDriveSetup.exe double click it and reinstall OneDrive.
Steps to Uninstall OneDrive – Window Pro and Enterprise Users
If you are a Windows 10 Enterprise, Professional, or Education user, the simplest way to remove OneDrive is to head to Local Group Policy Editor. To learn how to use it, follow the step-by-step guide below:
1. In the Windows search bar, type gpedit.msc > Enter
2. Under Local Computer Policy, look for Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components.
3. Look for OneDrive and double click Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage from the right pane.
4. This will open the settings window. Here click the radio button next to Enabled > Apply > Ok.
5. Doing so will completely disable access to OneDrive and it will also be removed from File Explorer.
In case you are not okay disabling OneDrive and just want to uninstall it, follow the steps below:
1. In the Windows search bar, type Command Prompt > right-click the best result > and select Run as administrator from the context menu.
2. Type taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe and hit Enter key. This will kill the OneDrive process.
3. Thereafter type the following command based on the version of operating system you are using:
This will remove the OneDrive app from your Windows.
How to temporarily disable OneDrive on Windows 10
If you think you might use OneDrive in the future, instead of uninstalling it you can disable it. To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Click the OneDrive icon present system tray > Help & Settings > select Pause Syncing > select the time 2,8, or 24 hours for which you want to pause using OneDrive.
Doing so will disable OneDrive for the selected time frame. Following the same steps, you can resume OneDrive syncing.
Successfully Uninstalled OneDrive from Windows
Following the steps explained above, you can easily remove OneDrive from the PC. Of course, the manual steps are time-consuming and require patience. In case you are not okay with it, use Advanced PC Cleanup the best PC Optimizer, and uninstaller using which you can remove any apps. Furthermore, using it you can perform other tasks like –
- Cleaning invalid registry entries
- Managing startup items
- Cleaning old downloads
- Protection windows from malware infections
- Securing your information from identity theft
- Clearing temporary files
- Removing junk and other cluttered data
This will help boost performance and fix various common Windows errors. We hope you will give it a try and will keep your system tuned up. In case you have any questions regarding the product contact our support team at email@example.com. They will answer all your queries promptly.
Do share your feedback and suggestions in the comments section.