No sound while playing Skyrim? That can be frustrating for a gamer like you. Don’t worry; you’re not alone, and the problem can be easily fixed. Keep reading to learn how.
Freedom and creativity are two essential aspects of any gameplay. They let the gamer create and experience the world they want. These are Skyrim’s strengths, making it stand out from Witcher 3 and other similar games.
However, no matter how popular a game could be, they are bound to have errors and issues; one such issue is no sound in Skyrim. There are different variations and reasons for the problem, and we will address them in this guide. So, keep reading to learn how to troubleshoot Skyrim no sound in Windows 10
Reasons For Skyrim Audio Issues
As the Skyrim, no sound effects issue comes in different variations there are multiple reasons for it. After going through various user reports, we’ve curated a list of the possible reasons for the Skyrim no sound issue. Below is the list of the common causes:
- DirectX is not installed correctly.
- The saved gameplay file you are using to resume playing Skyrim is corrupt.
- Misconfigured files.
- Interference by the third-party application.
- Outdated drivers.
- Playing Skyrim on Linux.
- Corrupt sound settings.
How To Fix Skyrim Audio Issues
Before following the troubleshooting steps explained below, ensure you are logged in as an administrator and have an active internet connection. In addition to this, also make sure your computer meets the minimum requirements to play Skyrim.
Minimum System Requirements to Play The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
CPU Speed: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or similar processor
RAM: 2 GB
operating System: Windows 7 / Vista / XP-PC (32 or 64 bits)
VIDEOKARTA: a DirectX 9.0c-compatible graphics card with 512 MB of RAM – NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT and ATI Radeon X1800.
PIXEL SHADOW: 3.0
VERTEX SHADER: 3.0
RINGING CARD: Yes
FREE HARD DISK SPACE: 6 GB
SPECIAL VIDEOPMENT: 512 MB
System Requirements That Will Help Play Skyrim Flawlessly.
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD processor
CPU Speed: Information
RAM: 4 GB
Operating System: Windows 7 / Vista / XP-PC (32 or 64 bits)
VIDEOKARTA: NVIDIA or AMD ATI DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics card with 1 GB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 or better; ATI Radeon HD 4890 or better)
PIXEL SHADOW: 3.0
VERTEX SHADER: 3.0
RINGING CARD: Yes
FREE DISK SPACE: 6 GB
DEDICATED VIDEO ROSE: 1 GB
Suppose your PC doesn’t even meet minimum requirements; you know what creates problems. However, since you are playing Skyrim, that shouldn’t be the case. So, now let’s get going with the fixes.
Before following the troubleshooting steps, try these basic fixes.
- Firstly ensure the sound is not muted on either the PC or audio playback devices (e.g., headset).
- Secondly, check the audio playback device for issues. You can try connecting it to another device.
- Thirdly, unplug your audio playback and re-plug it. This will help fix the issue.
If the above fixes did not help, don’t fret, there are other ways to fix reset the Skyrim audio.
Method 1 – Configure the Sound Mixer Correctly
Ensure the sound mixer is correctly configured with Skyrim. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open Skyrim and run an alternate application as an administrator in the background.
- After opening the game, go to the Desktop by pressing Windows + D shortcut key.
- Right-click the sound icon in the system tray and select Open Volume Mixer.
- You will now see Skyrim under Applications; here up Skyrim’s volume to the maximum. Save changes > exit the Volume Mixer.
- Now go back to Skrim and check whether Skyrim’s no sound in full-screen problem is fixed or not.
If this did not help, no worries, let’s move to another fix.
Method 2: Ensure the Right Audio Output is Selected
If you have more than one audio device connected, there’s a possibility that the incorrect device is selected.
- To change the device, right-click the Volume icon > Open Sound Settings.
- Click the down arrow under choose your output device and select the output device you want to use.
- Now play a quick tone using the Test button > re-check volume levels.
- Now try to play Skyrim; this should help. If not, we have other fixes.
Method 3: Check Third-party Applications
Before proceeding with the technical fixes, please check for the third-party applications running in the background. We will go to the Task Manager and review the running applications. Also, check the system tray to look for running applications. If you find any unknown application running > right-click on it > Exit.
Some known applications causing the issue include Sonic Studio, ‘Nahimic’ etc.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Delete to open Task Manager.
- Here, look for running third-party sound applications that you suspect can cause the interference. If you find any, right-click > End Task.
- After making these changes, relaunch Skyrim to check if the problem in question is fixed or not.
Method 4: Verify Game and Cache Files
If both the above cases are correct and you did not find any problem there, it can be the corrupt or missing game files of Skyrim. When such files exist, the game gives issues under discussion.
To fix such files, go to the properties for your game > & verify the integrity of the game files using a built-in verifier. To do so, log in as an administrator and then follow the steps below:
- Open Steam >Library button.
- Click Skyrim > right-click > Properties.
- Go to the Local Files tab > select Verify integrity of game files.
- Wait for the verification process to complete.
- Restart the PC to bring changes into effect and check if the issue is resolved or not.
Method 5: Install DirectX
If nothing has worked so far, let’s try installing Direct X because if it is missing or not installed properly, you will experience various problems. DirectX is related to video, but it is also responsible for the sound in the game. So, let’s read through and install the latest version of DirectX from Microsoft and fix Skyrim no sound in full screen.
- Open your web browser.
- Visit Microsoft’s DirectX Website and download the installer.
- As an administrator, open the executable file and install DirectX.
- Reboot the PC and check whether the Skyrim sound effects are back.
Method 6: Delete Corrupt Saved Files
If the file has the game progress saved corrupt, and the gamer uses it to play Skyrim, they will experience the sound issue. Try launching a new game and checking whether the sound issue is fixed. If it doesn’t, it was the corrupt saved file. Delete it, and then use Skyrim.
Note : Files corrupt when the saving process is interrupted during shutdown or exiting the game.
Method 7: Checking Installed Mods
To add new features and change the game interface that isn’t available within the game, Mods are popular in Skyrim. However, since third-party developers offer these mods, they are incomplete or corrupt. Therefore, if you are using Mods and falling Skryim with no sound in full screen, try disabling them to see if it helps.
However, if you don’t use Mods, make sure you use the latest version of the Skyrim game.
Reboot the computer after disabling mode and see if this helps fix Skyrim no sound effects.
If none of the above basic fixes help, no worries; we’ve covered some technical troubleshooting steps. You can follow them step by step and see if it helps fix the no-sound problem in Skyrim.
Fix 1: Update Audio Drivers
If the problem persists, it is essential to check for audio driver updates and install the latest version. There are two ways to update the audio driver: manual and automatic.
Option 1 – Manually– To manually update the latest driver, you’ll need technical skills, time, and patience. Moreover, there’s always a risk involved when updating drivers manually. You can edit the driver using Device Manager, the built-in utility, or the manufacturer’s website.
ALTERNATIVELY, you can use the Automatic method.
Option 2 – Update driver Using Advanced Driver Updater (Recommended)– This is the safest and most straightforward option. A beginner can update the driver in just a few clicks.
Advanced Driver Updater automatically identifies your system configuration and finds the correct driver. To use it, one doesn’t need to know the operating system’s version and name. Also, there’s no risk involved in downloading and installing the driver.
You can use the FREE or the registered version of Advanced Driver Updater to update the driver.
Note : Registered version allows updating all drivers, while it takes time to update drivers using the FREE version.
To use Advanced Driver Updater, follow these steps:
- Get Advanced Driver Updater on your PC by clicking the button below. Install the tool from the setup file.
- Open Advanced Driver Updater and click Start Scan Now. Advanced Driver Updater will now scan the PC for problematic drivers.
- Click the Update Driver button next to the sound driver to install the updated version. If using the paid version, use Update All.
- Restart the PC and re-launch the game the Skrim no sound when the attacking problem should be solved.
Note: If you have any problems using Advanced Driver Updater, contact the support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fix 2: Run Windows Audio Troubleshooter
In addition to the above step, we suggest running the built-in audio troubleshooter to fix Skyrim audio issues. This will help Windows 10 to identify and fix issues on its own. To run the troubleshooter, follow these steps:
- Press Windows + I to go to Settings.
- Click Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters > Playing Audio > Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the instructions. Hopefully, this will correct the problem with the audio.
- Restart the PC when done.
Tip : Run the game and Steam as an administrator
Sometimes, even the most straightforward fix help troubleshoot a severe problem. If you have tried everything but the problem persists, we recommend running the game as an administrator. To do so, follow these steps:
- Right-click The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition in your Steam library.
- Select “Properties”> Local files tab > Browse Local Files > navigate to the game executable (application) > right-click it > Properties.
- Click the “Compatibility” tab > check the box next to Run this program as administrator > Apply.\
- Restart Steam and the game.
This will fix no sound in Skyrim.
FAQ's-No Sound Problem On Skyrim