Are you looking for an answer to how to free up space on Windows? We will explain the best ways to free up space on Windows.
Running out of storage space, especially when working on something important, is one of the worst nightmares. The good news is that there are different manual and automatic ways to free up disk space on a PC. You can clear disk space by emptying Recycle Bin, using disk cleanup, uninstalling potentially unwanted apps, or can use a PC cleaner tool to get more disk space and optimize PC performance.
Not sure which one will be the best method for you? If you are short on time and are looking for the easiest and fastest way to get more storage space on your PC, try Advanced System Optimizer. The all-in-one system optimization and cleanup software will help clean up junk files, uninstall potentially unwanted apps, update device drivers, optimize disk, optimize memory, and more. To get the TuneUP tool for Windows, click the button below:
Download a Free 24-hour trial version of Advanced System Optimizer
What is Disk Space on a PC?
The total amount of space on the hard disk allows for saving data and is measured in gigabytes.
Here’s How To Get More Storage on Your PC
However, we’ll walk you through the steps if you prefer making space manually. How you can do it manually.
Method 1 – Empty Recycle Bin
When files are deleted from Windows, they are not permanently deleted. Instead, they are moved to Recycle Bin so that if you want, you can restore them. Due to this, over time, the size of Recycle Bin increased, and the deleted files took up unnecessary space. Therefore, when looking for ways to recover hard drive space, empty Recycle Bin. Use the steps below to perform the action:
- On the Windows desktop, look for Recycle Bin.
- Double-click on it to open it.
- Check the files and folders you see, confirm that you won’t need them, and click the Empty Recycle Bin button.
- Confirm the action. Once you Empty the Recycle Bin (considering it is full), you will be able to around 10% of drive capacity.
Method 2 – Run Disk Cleanup Utility
To deal with junk data, obsolete files, and clutter, Windows offer a Disk Cleanup app. Using it; you can free up a significant amount of disk space. Follow the steps to use it:
- In the Windows search bar, type Disk Cleanup. Select the best search result.
- Select the drive you want to clean up and click Ok.
- You’ll now see a list of files you can delete and the space you will be able to recover after deleting them. Select the files you want to remove and click Ok.
Note : For better understanding, you can find information about each section in the Description box.
- To recover more space, you can click the Cleanup system files options.
This way, you can manually free up space. However, if you are looking for a secure way to get more disk space on your PC, you can use the Smart PC Care module of Advanced System Optimizer and Disk Optimizer to optimize the disk.
Method 3 – Delete Temporary Files
Since Disk Cleanup doesn’t help clean up temporary files created by browsers, we will have to clear the cache and delete browser cookies from the browsers themselves. You will need to launch each browser and clear the cache. If you find this time-consuming, use the Privacy Protector module to clear browser history and cache immediately.
To clear temporary internet files, follow these steps:
- Press Windows + R to open the Run window.
- Type %temp% and press Ok.
- This will open the Temp folder displaying all the temporary files.
- To select and clean these files, press Ctrl + A and press the Delete button.
Note : Before you delete these files, ensure all the running programs are closed.
- If you get a prompt about a folder in the user, click the Skip button.
- This will clear the temporary files. After this step Empty Recycle Bin.
Method 4 – Use Storage Sense
Windows offer a built-in feature called Storage Sense to free up disk space. Using it, you can quickly clear space occupied by unwanted files. To enable Storage Sense, click Configure Storage sense or run it now link.
Under Run Storage Sense, click the down arrow and select from the available options:
Next, select when you want files to be automatically deleted from Recycle Bin and Download folder.
Lastly, click Clean now to free up disk space.
Method 5 – Uninstall Potentially Unwanted Apps
After managing space with Storage Sense, you can uninstall apps from the PC. This will help free up space. To do so, right-click the Start button > select Apps & Features > check the list of installed apps > select the ones you don’t want, and click the Uninstall button.
Method 6 – Remove duplicate files
Another category of files that take unwanted space is duplicate files, photos, video, and audio files. Removing them manually isn’t an easy job. Therefore, the best way to deal with duplicates is to use Duplicate
- Download and install Advanced System Optimizer.
- Click the Common Issues Fixer > Duplicate Files Remover.
- Click Select the location Now to select the area you wish to scan for duplicates.
- Select the files and click the arrow button to add them.
- You can also use Add to list button to add the desired path.
- Click Scan Now to start the process and wait for it to finish.
- Review scan results and select the files you want to remove > click Remove duplicates.
This is how we can remove duplicates and free up space.
Manually freeing up space on the hard drive isn’t easy. However, if you have a PC cleaning tool installed, you can do it in just a few clicks and optimize PC performance. Above, we have explained both manual and automatic ways to free up disk space. You can use any as per your liking. However, if you are looking for an easy way to clear disk space, Advanced System Optimizer, the PC cleanup tool, is your best option. We hope you liked the information we have shared. Please let us know your opinion by leaving a comment and giving it a thumbs up.