The missing brightness slider is one of the annoying issues faced by Windows 11 and 10 users. Luckily, the problem can be solved using the ways mentioned in the following post.
The correct brightness is crucial for proper viewing when working on a PC. Without it, you face problems while watching a movie, playing a game, working on a PC, etc. Below we will explain how to fix the brightness slider missing on Windows 10 and 11.
Reasons for Missing Brightness Slider on Windows 10
- Outdated graphics driver
- Brightness setting removed from Notification Center
- Disabled monitor driver in Device Manager
Common Error Reports By Users When Facing Brightness Issue
- The brightness option is either greyed out or unavailable
- Brightness is not working on the laptop.
- Missing screen brightness option.
- The disappearance of the brightness slider.
How To Fix the Windows Brightness Slider Not Showing?
The mysterious disappearance of the brightness slider surprises many users. For some, it is greyed out, or perhaps the icon is missing. So, why does this happen? A possible explanation is that the option is disabled. To fix it, follow these steps:
Method 1 – Add Brightness Slider to Quick Action Center
If you cannot see the brightness slider in the Quick Action Center, it seems it is not added. To do so, add it follow these steps:
- Press Windows + I to open Windows Settings.
- Double click System option > click Notifications & actions > Edit your quick actions.
- You will now see the notification area > click Add Brightness. When added, click Done.
- You will now see the Brightness slider in the Windows 11 and 10 action center.
If the brightness slider is still not visible, you can follow the other fixes below.
Method 2 – Enable Adaptive Brightness
- Press Windows + I to open Settings.
- Click System.
- Power & sleep > Additional power settings.
- Click Change plan settings.
- Click Change advanced power settings.
- Click the + button to unhide the Display option and Enable the adaptive brightness option.
This will help activate the brightness slider in the Action Center.
Method 3 – Uninstall and Reinstall Default Monitor Driver
If the brightness option is unavailable, the issue can be driver related. To fix this problem, uninstall and reinstall the driver. To do so, follow these steps:
- Right-click the Windows start icon > select Device Manager.
- Double click the Monitors section > right-click the monitor driver > Uninstall device.
- Check the box next to Delete the driver software for this device and click Uninstall.
- Let the operating finish.
- Click the Action tab > select Scan for hardware changes.
- This will reinstall the default driver. Now check if you can use the brightness settings.
If this doesn’t help, check if the monitor driver is enabled or disabled. If disabled, enable it using the instructions given below:
- Press Windows + X > select Device Manager.
- Expand Monitors category > right-click your Monitor driver and see choose Enable option. Instead of Enable, if you see Disable, the driver is enabled.
Check if the problem is solved or not. If not, we suggest updating the graphics driver. The easiest way is to use a third-party driver updating tool.
To use Advanced Driver Updater, the best tool for Windows to update drivers, follow these steps:
- Download and install Advanced Driver Updater.
- Open the tool and click Start Scan Now to start the scanning process and identify the outdated drivers.
- You’ll get a list of outdated drivers. To update the driver click the Update driver link. If you click Update All & are re-directed to the purchase page, you are a trial user. Free users can update only one driver at a time. While only paid users can use the Update All button. To update all drivers, you must purchase the product with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
- Wait for the driver update to install. Restart the PC the apply changes.
Now try to adjust the brightness. You should not face any problems.
Method 4 – Install Generic PnP Monitor Driver
If the Generic PnP monitor driver is not installed on your PC, then also you can face the brightness slider missing issues. To fix it, install the driver and get the brightness problem resolved.
- Press Windows + R to open the Run window.
- Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter key.
- Expand Monitors category. Select the monitor driver > right-click > Update driver.
- Select the second option, Browse my computer for driver software.
- Click Let me pick from the list of available drivers on my computer.
- Select Generic PnP Monitor from the list > click Next.
- Restart PC to apply changes. The brightness problem should now be fixed.
Method 5 – Update Windows
You might face a brightness issue when you don’t have the latest Windows update installed. To update Windows, follow these steps:
- Press Windows + I to open Settings.
- Click Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates.
- Wait for the updates to install. Alternatively, you can click Download and install and wait for the updates to install.
- Restart the PC to apply updates and then check if the problem is fixed or not.
This concludes our troubleshooting guide on how to fix brightness unavailable on Windows 11 and 10. Suppose the above fixes did not help; you try uninstalling problematic software. Some users have reported that after uninstalling TeamViewer, the issue is fixed. If you don’t know how to uninstall it, you can use the Uninstall module of Advanced System Optimizer.
After using the above methods, we hope you can resolve the missing brightness slider problem.
Most Related :
How To Fix Windows 10/11 LAN Drivers Problem?
How To Fix Windows 11 Bluetooth Not Working Problem
Fix – No Sound Steam Games Windows 11/10
How To Fix Video_Dxgkrnl_Fatal_Error on Windows (2022)
2 thoughts on “How To Fix Windows 10/11 Brightness Slider Missing”
Thank you so much!!! Since I’ve updated Windows I faced this problem but thanks to you, it is finally solved! Method 3 has worked like a charm for me and now my eyes can finally rest.
Thank you! As they said, not all heroes wear capes 🙂
Have a nice day.
Thank you for your feedback.
We are glad to hear that your problem is resolved.
Thanks and Regards