Like others in the gaming community, when using Discord, does the screen share not work for you? Fortunately, we have the fix for the Discord black screen. (Check Thread)
Different reasons prevent Discord screen sharing from working, from software permissions to outdated drivers. Here explain how you can resolve the issue.
What is Discord Screen Share?
Discord screen share is a helpful feature that comes in handy when you want to be with someone on a call and share a screen. However, when this functionality stops working, you encounter a Discord black screen while streaming, for which no official fix has been released.
Luckily, there are certain fixes that will help troubleshoot Discord screen sharing loading forever errors.
Causes for the black screen on Discord
After going through various reports, we found that the following reasons are generally behind the Discord screen share not working.
- Insufficient Permissions
- Full-Screen Mode
- Discord Voice and Video settings & using the latest technology option
- Outdated graphics card
You must better understand why you encounter Discord black screen while sharing.
How to Fix Discord Screen Share Black Screen?
1. Run with Admin Privilege
As mentioned, the issue is often caused due to conflict with permissions, i.e., the program you are trying to share the screen and the Discord app screen have different permissions. Hence, to fix it, we must run the Discord app and program as an administrator and share the screen. To do so, follow these steps:
Firstly make sure you are logged into the system as an administrator, and then follow these steps:
- In the Windows search bar, type Discord,> right-click > Run as administrator.
- After this, go to the other program and ensure that you run that with admin privileges. To do so, you need to follow the same steps right-click on the executable file > Run as administrator.
Now try to share the screen; you should not face any problems.
2. Disable the Latest Technologies Option
If granting admin privileges didn’t help, there’s a possibility that you are using the latest technologies option. Though it can cause trouble is unclear, it is the culprit in many scenarios. Therefore, there’s no harm in disabling the feature and seeing if it helps fix screen share not working on Discord.
- Launch Discord > go to its Settings.
- Go to Voice and Video section > scroll down and disable the Use our technologies for screen sharing option under Video Diagnostics.
This should help. If not, we have other ways to fix the problem.
3. Update Graphics Card
Outdated display cards can create issues during screen sharing. We suggest updating the display adapter. This can be done manually or automatically. If you are running short on time and looking for a reliable way to update drivers try Advanced Driver Updater.
Below we will explain both ways to update drivers. You can use any at your discretion.
Manually Updating Graphics Driver
- Right-click the Start menu > select Device Manager.
- Double-click Display adapters > right-click your graphics card> Update driver.
- Select Search automatically for drivers
- Let the process finish and restart the PC.
Automatically Update Graphics Drivers – Advanced Driver Updater.
- Download and install Advanced Driver Updater.
- Perform the scan for outdated drivers by clicking Start Scan Now.
- Evaluate scan results and update the graphics driver. If re-directed to the purchase page, click the Update driver link next to the display adapter, as trial users can update one driver at a time.
- To update all drivers simultaneously, click Update All.
- Restart the PC and then try to screen share.
4. Add Applications to Your Discord Profile
To avoid facing a black screen on Discord, add the game you are playing or the software you run in the desktop app. This will instruct Discord to list it as a running application as you enable screen sharing.
- Open Discord & ensure the game you want to stream is open and running in the background.
- Click the Cog icon.
- Go to the Game Activity
- If Discord fails to detect a running game or open application, you see a No game detected. To fix it, choose the Add it option.
- Search for the running game or software > click Add Game
This will add the running game or application to the Discord list. Now try to screen share. Discord will detect the software.
5. Disable Hardware Acceleration
Hardware Acceleration keeps the program responsive, with animation and smooth transitions. However, this feature can also cause a black screen due to GPU limitations. To disable it, follow the instructions below:
- Launch Discord > click the Gear icon and go to Discord Settings.
- Click Advanced > uncheck Hardware Acceleration.
The problem should no longer persist.
6. Enable Reduced Motion
The option responsible for transitions and animations in Discord is called Reduced Motion. When you enable this option, it will shorten the animation time, which will make Discord function smoothly. To turn on the option, follow these steps:
- Open Discord and go to Settings.
- Go to Accessibility > uncheck Sync with Computer > turn on Enable Reduced Motion option.
- Restart Discord by pressing Ctrl + R. The issue by now should be fixed.
7. Enable Game Overlay
- Open Discord > go to its Settings.
- Click Overlay > Turn on the slider next to Enable in-game overlay.
8. Delete Discord Cache
Sometimes when you run many programs, the cache also interferes with screen sharing. Therefore, we suggest clearing the Discord cache folder. To do so, follow these steps:
- Exit the Discord app.
- Press Windows + X > select Run.
- Type %appdata% > Ok.
- In the Roaming folder, look for the Discord folder and delete it.
- Restart Discord and try to share the screen; this should help.
9. Switch to Windowed/Borderless Mode
Since Discord doesn’t support full-screen sharing, that might be creating a conflict. If the above suggestions didn’t work, try running the program you want to share in Windowed or Borderless mode. Press F11 to switch to windowed mode. Alternatively, you can use the window control on the top right of Windows to switch to windowed mode. To do this while playing the game, go to the settings menu and select windowed or borderless mode.
10. Close Third-Party Background Processes
Running an advanced game with the Discord client and other apps running in the background can cause performance issues. Therefore, close the potentially unwanted background processes to solve Discord screen sharing not working.
Step 1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Delete to open Task Manager
Step 2. Select the applications and background processes you don’t want to run and click End task.
Step 3. Restart Discord & try to initiate screen share.
Conclusion – Discord Screen Share No Video Fixed
The above fixes will help fix the Discord screen share not working issue. However, if nothing works and you are using the Discord web client, switch to the desktop app or reinstall; this is the Discord app.
All these things will help fix the black screen problem on Discord that you encounter when sharing the screen.