If you wish to learn how to encrypt files on your Windows PC, read on for simple solutions. Encryption keeps privacy at a maximum level in which only the sender and receiver can access the information. It has been used for a long time in history as the algorithm converts data into coded language, making it inaccessible to others.
Regarding file or folder encryption, it is nothing but setting a password and securing your file. Any file or folder can be password encrypted; some files can be easily password protected, while some need to be done with your technical knowledge. In this article, we are going to learn the simple ways and know how to encrypt files or how to encrypt folders.
In this article, you are going to get the following information
- What is file/folder encryption?
- How to encrypt a file or folder in Windows 10 by an inbuilt feature of Windows.
- How to encrypt or decrypt a file or folder using Advanced System Optimizer.
What is File/Folder Encryption?
File and folder encryption means securely encoding files along with the data stored in them. Encryption prevents unauthorized access to sensitive data, keeping nasty people at bay. It is a practical solution for those who want to keep confidential data safe and make it unreadable for others but the authorized personnel.
How Would You Encrypt your File and folder in Windows 10 Using Inbuilt Features?
Windows 10 Home does not contain a direct file encryption function, and the question arises of how to encrypt files in Windows 10? or how to encrypt folders in Windows 10?
However, in other Windows 10 versions, you can encrypt your file and folder with these simple techniques.
Must Read: How to Deep Clean a PC the Right Way?
Method 1 – Manually Encrypting File and Folder
- Select and hold the file or folder you want to encrypt.
- Go to the Properties of the file/folder.
- You would see a new dialogue box in which you have to check and click on the ‘Advanced’ button.
- You would then see “Encrypt contents to secure data,” which comes with a checkbox.
- Mark the checkbox and select OK at the bottom to conclude your changes in Advanced Attributes.
- Select apply in the previous dialogue box, and then again OK.
- That’s all. Your file or folder is encrypted.
Method 2 – Manually Enabling Device Encryption
This method brings the encryption option for any file and folder deep coding. Not all systems would accept this solution as the system requirement needs to be checked first, but you can give it a try.
- Open Settings.
- In the menu, click on Update and Security.
- Click on “Device Encryption.”
- Click on the “Turn On” button. If it is already “ON,” it will show Turn off.
If the page doesn’t show anything in the Device Encryption quick tips section, then your system doesn’t support file or folder encryption for Windows 10.
How To Encrypt Files and Folders Using Software in Windows 10?
This method talks about easier and more confidential software-based solutions for your questions, such as how to encrypt files or folders. You can use dedicated encryption software that will help get your files and folders encrypted easily. Let us see one of the best software to help encrypt your files and folders.
We use Advanced System Optimizer, an optimization software that will optimize your Windows, secure it, clean cache and cookies, update the driver, and much more. The main features of Advanced System Optimizer software are –
- System Cleaner
- Disk Optimizer
- Disk Explorer
- Secure Delete
- Secure Encryption
- Privacy Protector
- Game and Memory Optimizer etc
This software is a highly preferred and recommended software by users.
Let us now see how to encrypt files in Windows and encrypt a folder in Windows 10 using Advanced System Optimizer.
Encrypting or Decrypting a file or a folder using Advanced System Optimizer can be done by following a few simple steps; let us see how.
- Download Advanced System Optimizer from the download button.
Complete the installation and launch the software.
- From the left sidebar, go to the Security and Privacy module.
- On the right, you will see four options – System Protector, Privacy Protector, Secure Delete, and Secure Encryptor. Click on Secure Encryptor, which is placed at the fourth position.
- Under the File Encryptor tab, select the secure file option.
- Select a file or the folder to be encrypted from the browser option.
Once added, it will appear in the list on System Optimizer Tool.
- Click on the blue Encrypt button. Choose a strong password and password hint for your file and click Ok.
- Wait for finishing the encryption process, and a message appears as ‘Selected file(s) were successfully encrypted.’ Once done, click on the Finish button.
Using Advanced System Optimizer, decrypting a file ain’t too hard. Let’s take a few easy steps to decrypt a file using ASO.
- Just like encryption, go to Security and Privacy.
- Select the Secure Encryptor option.
- In that, locate the ‘File Decryptor’ option and click on it.
- Once you click, you will see the list of encrypted files. If the desired file doesn’t appear, click on the add button.
- Select the file and click the decrypt option. Enter the password.
- Conclude the process by clicking the finish button.
Also Read: How to Free Up Space in Windows 11,10
Wrapping up –
In conclusion, we can say that to get your file encrypted easily, we prefer using software that helps not just protect your files but also helps in managing your disk and providing you with attacks from fraudulent and phishing websites.
Among all, ASO is one of the premium and most liked software. You can download a free version ( 24 hours free trial to help you test the product) or purchase your plan per your needs.
Read Also: How To Clean Junk Files In Windows 11 & 10?
FAQs-Encrypt Files and Folder