Recover Lost and Deleted Data from your Windows PC with the help of these Best Data Recovery Tools in 2023
Are you searching for a nifty way to undelete or recover deleted files from your computer? If yes, this is the post for you! In this one, we have curated a comprehensive list of data recovery software that can help get back deleted files easily.
The need for tools that help retrieve data is incomparable to any other software. This is because human errors are unplanned. Hence, thousands of users face accidental removal of crucial files and later look for ways to recover them. Fortunately, several file recovery tools are available in the market. But is that a plus?
Considering the number of tools available to serve the purpose, it seems much of a hassle than ease. Identifying which is the best data recovery software gets complicated. Therefore, here we will compare the top names to help you pick the one that suits your needs.
What is Data Recovery Software?
Data recovery software is an effective and efficient way to undelete removed files. Since the process of recovering data is lengthy and complex, there are dedicated services that cater to such user requests. Professional data recovery firms and experts take days to recover your computer’s data. However, with the recovery software, it can now be done at the convenience of a click.
Sure, for recovering advanced files or severe cases, one may have to turn towards professional services, but software to restore data makes it relatively easy to undelete files. These highly robust programs allow you to perform a scan that works on an algorithm designed to dig deep into your PC’s file system and recover files even from shreds.
Since the process is extremely delicate, choosing the correct software to retrieve files easily becomes even more crucial. That is because playing around with segments of your drive that hold deleted files can result in a complete loss of data.
How Do These Data Recovery Tools Work?
To understand how exactly recovery software works, let us first understand the concept of data recovery, file structure, and data blocks.
Every time you save a file, it is saved in data blocks on your disk drive, marking their status as occupied, and when deleted, these data blocks are emptied, and their status is marked as available.
However, sometimes, even if the status is available, there are shreds of old data on the data as the data block is not overwritten, making restoration of deleted files possible. This is how undelete programs come into the frame, as the algorithm they use takes the benefit of such data and helps restore files.
For a deeper scoop on how recovery programs work, please check out our detailed research paper on the science behind data recovery.
List of Best Data Recovery Software to Recover Lost/Deleted Files on Windows – (Free/Paid)
Before we begin our list of the best software to recover deleted files for Windows, here are the criteria we have kept in mind while curating it.
With that, let’s check the list of best data retrieval software for Windows –
1. Advanced Disk Recovery
Highlight – Suitable for recovering disk partitions individually. Scans all the bad sectors as well for proper retrieval of data.
Rating – 8.3/10
Latest Version – 2.7.1200
File Size – 5.4 MB
Price – $39.95
While Advanced Disk Recovery tool performs excellently, the only downside is its inability to scan individual files. It scans complete drives and fetches tons of deleted files that can be confusing. Overall, the user experience is smooth, and the tool works on an advanced algorithm to undelete data. Also, it can scan and recover files from dedicated partitions in the file system. Not to mention, the tool has multiple scan modes.
- Scans all types of connected external and internal data sources.
- Dedicated settings to change preferences as per needs
- Recover unlimited deleted files.
- Available filters to specify a period when you had deleted files to shorten the scan.
- Offers two scan types, allowing the user to choose from.
- The scanners scan a complete disk, fetching hundreds of thousands of files, making it difficult for the user to identify and recover files.
2. Disk Drill
Highlight – Efficient recovery mechanism that takes minimal time to generate results. Supports 300+ file formats.
Rating – 9.2/10
Latest Version – 5.3.826
File Size – 18.6 MB
Price – $89 (Single User License)
At the time of writing, Disk Drill is offering a limited-time deal of 2-for-1. If you buy the Windows version, you get the Mac version for free.
Next on our list of best data recovery software is the Disk Drill by Cleverfiles. The turnaround time offered by the tool to recover deleted files is amazing. It also comes with an integrated recoverability prediction tool that helps identify whether the file can be recovered. Overall, the user experience is also decent. The best part that allows Disk Drill to land on the second spot in our list is its reliability and overall interface.
- Supports recovering data from off-beat devices such as a digital camera.
- Ability to create byte-level backups.
- Offers an inbuilt Recovery vault to help store sensitive data you have recovered.
- Fast processing support, yields results faster.
- Allows restoring up to 500 MB of data in the free version
- Often shows pop-up ads in the free version, which can be annoying.
Read Also: How to Stop Pop-Up Ads On Windows 11
3. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
Highlight – Supports restoring data from corrupt, crashed, and virus-infected drives. Offers one-of-a-kind NAS server data recovery.
Rating – 8.8/10
Latest Version – 188.8.131.52
File Size – 68.36 MB
Price – $69.95 (Single User License)
It offers some of the top-notch and latest features when it comes to file recovery programs. With industry-first features like the NAS server data recovery, the tool can be a good fit for official purposes. However, when it comes to personal usage, the tool may not have anything extraordinary to offer. The overall processing speed and turnaround time are satisfactory.
- Allows specific folder selection for undeleting files.
- Retrieve data from crashed PC.
- Offers NAS Recovery, which is a great plus for many users.
- Straight forward user interface so a layman can use it easily.
- Has inbuilt tech assistance features that make it easier for you to learn detailed usage of the tool.
- Often struggles while working with external devices.
4. Wise Data Recovery
Highlight – Supports getting back data from FAT, NTFS, HFS, HFS+, HFSX, Ext2, and Ext3 file systems. Also offers a portable web version of the tool.
Rating – 8.5/10
Latest Version – 6.1.4
File Size – 11.8 MB
Price – $39.97
If you have encountered an issue with your disk volumes and file systems, Wise Data Recovery is the tool for you. It supports multiple file systems and allows you to recover deleted files from FAT, NTFS, etc. file systems quite quickly. Also, the tool goes beyond other tools by offering a portable version. It can be helpful considering if the file you want to recover lies in the same drive where your applications are installed, avoiding overwriting.
- Offers a wide array of files that can be recovered, including document types like help files.
- Has multiple sorting filters for simplifying and narrowing down the results accordingly,
- Can be used without installing with the help of a portable web version of the tool.
- The tool offers more technical operations in an easy interface; it is simpler for newbies to recover volumes.
- The Portable version makes the entire process super-fast and gives it a cutting edge over other tools.
- The operation labels can be complex for users working with file system recovery for the first time.
5. Wondershare RecoverIt
Highlight – This tool helps recover files deleted using the Shift+Del command. It boasts 35+ data recovery patents. Also supports Linux & NAS recovery.
Rating – 8.3/10
Latest Version – 12.0.14
File Size – 1.2 MB (Online Installer File)
Price – $69.99
Wondershare RecoverIt is another best software to recover data that you can try. It gets the job done and can be an excellent option for IT professionals. If you use a virtual space on your PC with Linux, this tool can also help you recover lost data and undelete files. Using Wondershare RecoverIt can be a great experience if you are well-versed in using your PC and have some technical knowledge.
- Corrupt video repair allowing you to recover and repair broken video files.
- Dedicated mode to restore data after system crash.
- Recover deleted files from Disk Image.
- Best for retrieving deleted photos and videos.
- NAS and Linux recovery for professional users.
- Push notifications of other Wondershare Products are annoying.
6. Advanced File Recovery
Highlight – A perfect and complete file recovery and best undelete software that supports batch and individual file recovery.
Rating – 9.8/10
Latest Version – 184.108.40.206
File Size – 22.8 MB
Price – $69.95 (Single User License)
It is the most popular choice when choosing data recovery software for undelete files. It offers a neat user experience with all the features easily accessible from the home screen. Thanks to advanced sorting algorithms, the tool can generate results based on the type of file you have chosen to recover. You can easily scan internal, external, and removable drives based on specific formats for lost files. Also, you can preview scan results, which helps make informed decisions.
- Supports retrieving data from different file formats.
- Offers two scan modes for dedicated scenarios.
- Allows you to recover almost all file types from different storage devices.
- Faster scanning speed with zero lags in the process.
- Works in the background so it does not affect other tasks.
- The free version does not allow you to recover files.
Highlight – Supports data recovery from social apps and PCs. Has been checked for 500+ data loss scenarios.
Rating – 8/10
Latest Version – 6.0.1
File Size – 4.2 MB
Price – $ 99.99 (lifetime Single User License)
A multi-platform data recovery tool, AnyRecover justifies its name. It supports Windows, Mac, Android, & iOS devices. However, this negatively impacts the tool as it is more focused and efficiently works on restoring data from mobile devices and social media platforms than PCs. The application for Windows is quite functional and gets the job done. However, the efficiency can be a concern as it takes longer to scan the drives for deleted data and recover them.
- Restore deleted files from Recycle Bin, hard drive, SD card, etc.
- Quick scan and preview data.
- Restore unsaved Word documents, Microsoft, Excel, PDF, and other formats
- A one-stop solution for all your devices. You need not look for other tools.
- Has an added photo clarity tool to make recovered files worthy.
- You need to download some features externally as they are unavailable by default.
8. OnTrack EasyRecovery
Highlight – Pause and resume the recovery process. Locate and rebuild corrupt, damaged, or deleted volumes running Windows FAT, NTFS, or exFAT file systems.
Rating – 7.9/10
Latest Version –
File Size – 334 MB
Price – $59.99 (Single User License)
OnTrack EasyRecovery software for Windows is a good tool for recovering media files. It is undoubtedly a feature-rich tool that allows you to do much more than simply restore data. It effectively scans deleted files and performs accurate file retrieval lost through deletion, reformatting, and a number of other data loss scenarios. If you have deleted media files you can restore and repair damaged and corrupt photo and video files.
- Helps recover folders, files, and emails.
- Ability to select all data types or a particular one for simplification
- Start and stop the data retrieval process.
- Choose a specific format to undelete lost files.
- Provides ease of pausing and resuming the scan.
- Has a limited number of formats supported.
9. UnDeleteMyFiles Pro
Highlight – Dedicated filters allow you to find specific deleted files so that they can be recovered. Suitable for individual file recovery.
Rating – 7.7/10
Latest Version – 3.1.0
File Size – 1.3 MB
Price – Free
The only free software to recover data that made it to our list is UnDeleteMyFiles Pro. It is a program offered by folks at SeriousBit. It has amazing features such as media retrieval, file rescuer, etc. It has dedicated modes to assist you with the type of task and recovery you want to perform. Not only this, it also has added utility features such as Files Wiper, Emergency Disk Image, etc.
- File Rescue Wizard to quickly restore deleted files.
- Deleted file search option to find specific deleted information
- Mail Rescue model.
- Free to use with all the features unlocked
- Quickly finds recently deleted files on NTFS partitions.
- No technical support is available.
10. MiniTool Power Data Recovery
Highlight – Allows you to preview files before restoring them, even in the free version.
Rating – 7.5/10
Latest Version – 11.6
File Size – 2.2 MB (Online Setup file)
Price – $69
The software offers one of the most crucial features, file previewer, even in the free version. You can view the file, check if it is exactly what you wanted, and recover it. The file types supported are about 100+, which is comparatively less than other tools in the list. Besides the free version features, hardly anything helps it stand out, so it has found the 10th position on our list.
- Divides existing locations into logical and connected devices.
- Configurable scan settings for user-required results.
- Path-based data recovery available.
- Highlights all the features on the home screen.
- Has added utilities section to suggest more features and related tools.
- Also shows system hidden partitions that may cause errors in the system.
Highlight – Offers additional features such as disk images and clone creation, RAID constructor, etc. Also supports raw recovery, which refers to retrieving data by file signatures.
Rating – 7.2/10
Latest Version – 4.0.6
File Size – 3.48 MB
Price – $20
This is more of a complex undelete software that requires proper experience to recover data. The tool works based on thorough search and analysis. The disk drives are examined to create file structures to recover the deleted file. It takes a more detailed approach; hence, the time can be long. Overall, the tool is a decent fit for someone looking to recover lost data they deleted long ago.
- Extensive recovery tools with high-level customization
- Added modified partitioning for advanced volume recovery
- Different data search modes based on different file systems
- Efficient software to restore data.
- Gives better insights on getting back data in Windows.
- Requires technical knowledge to identify correct options.
Your Hunt for the Best Data Recovery Software to Undelete Files Ends HERE!
After running all the modules manually and checking every feature for a week, we have curated the abovementioned list. In case you have any other name in mind that must be on the list but is not, feel free to let us know via the comment section.
You can pick any tools from the list of best recovery programs to get back deleted data. To simplify things and help you choose better, we have also shared quick insights we gained from our usage. So choose wisely.
With that being said, we have reached the end of this post. Stay tuned for more detailed analyses of top tools that make your life easier. In case you are still confused, download the Advanced Disk Recovery tool and undelete files easily.
Thanks for reading, good luck!
Next Read :