Are you struggling with the 0x80072f8f error code on Windows? This is a common issue, and it pops up in different scenarios. The most common is when you try to activate Windows, update Windows, and install apps and games from Microsoft Store.
Worry, not the article explains how to resolve Microsoft Store Code error.
Common Reasons for 0x80072f8f Windows 10 Error Code
- Invalid date and time.
- Outdated device drivers.
- Corrupt system & DLL files.
- Misconfigured files in Microsoft Store.
- Virus or malware infection.
Now that we know what can cause the Error code: 0x80072f8f let’s start discussing how to fix it. There are several ways to fix it; just follow them one by one to find the right fix for you.
How To Fix 0x80072f8f Error Code – Windows 10 & 11
Fix 1 – Set Correct Date & Time
Your system’s time should be according to your country and region. If there is any difference, it can cause problems with online activation and verification of product keys. Therefore, to understand the reason for the problem, check the date and time. To do so, follow these steps:
- Press Windows + I to access Windows settings.
- Click Time & language.
- You will now see the current date and time. If it is incorrect and the Change button under Set the date and time manually is greyed out, disable Set time automatically and Set time zone automatically.
- Now you can use the Change button.
- Click on it > set the right Date and Time and click Change.
If the error code occurred when activating Windows, after changing the date and time, let’s try to activate Windows.
How To Activate Windows?
- In the Window Start search field, type slui.exe and press Enter key.
- This will open the Activation window. Enter the key and follow on-screen instructions.
- This will help successfully activate Windows.
If the above method did not help to fix the Windows activation issue, try changing the value data in Windows Registry. However, before making any changes, please take a backup of the complete Windows Registry.
Change Value Data Key
- Press Windows + R and open the Run window.
- Type regedit and press the Enter key.
- Go to – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE
- Look for DWORD value – MediaBootInstall in the right pane. Double click on it.
- Right-click on it > Modify, and under DWORD (32-bit) Value, set the Value data to.
- Click Ok > exit Registry editor.
- Click Windows + R and open the Run window.
- Type cmd and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter. This will open Command Prompt as Administrator.
- In the Command Prompt, enter slmgr /rearm command and press the Enter key.
- If you get a success message, restart the PC to apply changes. This will activate your Windows.
Fix 2 – Update Windows
Sometimes the error code pops up due to outdated Windows. To fix it, update Windows and see if it helps. To update Windows, follow these steps:
- Press Windows + I to open Windows settings.
- Click Update & Security > Windows Update.
- Click Check for Updates and let the scanning finish.
- If an update is available, you will be notified. Click Download & install to install the update.
- Now try to install apps and games from Microsoft Store.
Fix 3 – Run Windows Troubleshooter
Try running Windows troubleshooter if you can open Microsoft Store but cannot install apps and games. It will help fix common issues that are causing the problem.
- Press Windows + X and select Settings.
- Click Update & Security > Troubleshoot (Windows 10.)
If you are running Windows 11, click Windows + X > Settings > look for Troubleshoot option under System.
- Click Additional troubleshooters > Windows Store Apps > Run the troubleshooter. (Windows 10)
Click Other troubleshooters > Windows Store Apps > Run (Windows 11.)
Fix 4 – Repair and Reset Microsoft Store Apps
If you still face the issue, try repairing and resetting Microsoft Store apps. To do so, follow these steps:
- Press Windows + X > select Apps & Features.
- Under Apps & features, look for Microsoft Store > click Advanced options.
- Scroll down; you will now see the Repair and Reset option under Reset.
If you don’t want to lose app data, use the Repair option. However, if the problem still exists, use the Reset option to delete the app data permanently.
- Now launch Microsoft Store, you should not face any problems.
- Press Windows + X > select Apps & Features.
- Look for Microsoft Store > click the three dots > select Advanced Options.
- Now, Reset the app by clicking the Reset button. If this doesn’t help, use the Repair option.
Try to run Microsoft Store; you should not face the Microsoft Store code error.
Fix 5 – Repair System Files
You can repair Windows corrupt system files using Command Prompt & executing sfc /scannow and DISM commands. To run it, follow these steps:
- Run Command Prompt as administrator.
- Type SFC /scannow and press the Enter key.
- Let the command run.
- Next, run the following commands:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /Check health
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /restorehealth
- When the process is finished, restart the computer.
Bonus Tip – Update Outdated Device Drivers
The Windows Update error 0x80072f8f8f can be fixed in different ways. Try the above method to fix it. In case they don’t help, try updating the device drivers. The easiest way to update drivers is to use a driver updating tool like Advanced Driver Updater. It will automatically detect outdated drivers and show compatible updates. Follow these steps:
- Download and install Advanced Driver Updater.
- Run the tool and click Start Scan Now to perform the scan.
- Let the scanning finish, review scan results, and update the driver.
- Trial users can update only one driver at a time. This means you will use the Update driver link next to the driver you want to update. However, registered users can use the Update All button.
- Restart the PC to save changes.
Now try to run the Microsoft Store, activate Windows, and update it; you should not face any problems.
The above method will help fix the Microsoft Store code, activation, and Windows Update errors. However, if they did not help, try temporarily disabling the firewall. If you still have a Windows activation error, install Root Certificate Update from the Microsoft Update Catalog website. Please let us know which fix worked for you.
If you know about other fixes, please share them with us in the comments section. Also, share your feedback with us.