Not restricted to a specific application, EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error message occurs while using almost any application on your computer. Usually, the error message pops up when the application you are trying to run tries to access a protected memory address.
Hence, in this tutorial, we will show you how to fix the EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error. So, just follow through and troubleshoot the error message.
Dubbed as Unhandled Exception Access Violation and marked by a numeric error code 0xc0000005, this Windows error restricts PC users from using the app using which they encounter the error message. For most people, the problem occurs during gameplay or when launching apps like (Java, Visual Studio, Minecraft, etc.). Sometimes, the error even pops up randomly, and in this case, a problematic file like ntdll.dll, odbc32.dll, and similar are displayed in the error message.
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error Variations:
- EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION occurs when people use JAVA. So programs related to it need fixing.
- Unhandled Exception Access Violation Visual Studio error – doesn’t happen when using a specific app. It can be fixed by reinstalling the affected app.
- EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error related to ntdll.dll, odbc32.dll.
- Exception Access Violation WoW, Minecraft, Over watch error is related to certain games.
Apart from these reasons, the Exception Access Violation error might be caused due to an antivirus program. There’s no proof which antivirus causes the error, however, as a fix, you can try temporarily disabling or uninstalling any third-party antivirus program.
Best Ways To Fix Exception Access Violation Error
|1||Scan the PC for Infection.||Sometimes, you can see the “EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION” error due to malware infection.
To learn how to fix it, check method.
|2||Run Windows Troubleshooter.
|In some cases, the error can be caused due to a corrupt or broken peripheral. Using a Windows Hardware troubleshooter you can get to the root cause and fix the problem. To learn how to do that, check method.|
|3||Add The Troubling Software To the Data Execution Prevention Exception List.||When the application that is giving issues is added to the data execution prevention list, the Exception_Access_Violation, the problem can be fixed. To learn how to do that, check method.
|4||Uninstall the problematic application or Disable User Account Control.||Uninstalling or disabling UAC sometimes help fix Exception_Access_Violation civ. To know how to do that, check method.
|5||Create options.ini file.||Creating options.ini file in the games folder that is giving the issue will help troubleshoot the problem. To learn how to do that, check method.
Why Do You Face “EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION”?
- The accessed file is read-only
- Corrupt RAM
- Hardware issues
- Computer is infected by malware
- You are running a corrupt application or software
5 Method to Resolve Exception_Access_Violation Windows 11, 10
1. Scan the PC for Virus and Other Malicious Infections
Generally, running a malicious application causes “EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION,” error. The reliable and trusted way to deal with such a problem is to use real-time protection enabled and updated antivirus solution. Try Systweak Antivirus to scan your PC for malware infection. The best thing about this antivirus solution is that it easily tracks hidden threats and removes them in real-time. Moreover, it has built-in firewall protection, USB protection, Exploit Protection, and even scan startup programs for infection. This helps keep the PC shielded from both the latest and prevailing threats. To learn how to use Systweak Antivirus, read below.
How To Use Systweak Antivirus And Clean All The Infections To Keep Pc Protected
1. Download Systweak Antivirus & install it by clicking the executable file and following on-screen instructions.
2. Launch Systweak Antivirus and from the left pane, click the lens icon to select the scan type. This best antivirus software offers different scanning types for thorough, quick, and custom scanning. You can select the one as per your choice.
Quick Scan – is fast, and it scans default folders.
Deep Scan – is in-depth. It is time-consuming.
Custom Scan – as the name suggests, gives the user a choice to select the scan area and folder to scan. It takes a much longer time than Quick Scan.
3. After selecting the scan type, click Scan Now to start the process.
4. Wait for the scan to finish.
5. Review scan results and click Protect Now to quarantine detected infections.
2. Run Windows Troubleshooter
To resolve the minor issue, Windows p[rovide a built-in troubleshooter. You can use it to detect the problem and fix the detected issues with either the peripherals or software. To use it, follow these steps:
1. Press Windows + I to open Windows Settings.
2. Click on Update & Security.
3. From the left pane, click on Troubleshoot option > Additional troubleshooters > select the hardware using which you are facing the problem > hit Run the troubleshooter.
4. Wait for the troubleshooter to scan the device and fix the error.
5. Restart the PC and then try to use the hardware, you should not face an Exception Access Violations error.
Read More: Do You Need Antivirus for Windows 11, 10
3. Add The Problematic Program To the Data Execution Prevention Exception List
Keep a record of the program using which you are facing the error message Exception_Access_Violation. After that, follow these steps to add the program to the exclusion list.
1. In the Windows search bar type Control Panel > select the best search result and open it.
2. Look for the System option and click on it.
3. Next, click Advanced system settings.
4. This will open the System Properties window > click the Advanced tab > click Settings under Performance.
5. Hit the Data Execution Prevention tab
6. Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select > click the Add button > select the .exe file of the problematic application > Open
7. To complete the process, click Apply > OK.
The Exception_Access_Violation CIV should now be fixed.
4. Uninstall Problematic Software or Disable User Account Control (UAC)
When trying to install Java, run Java applications, or applets, have reported facing an Exception error. To troubleshoot the issue, we suggest temporarily disabling the User Account Control. Here are the steps to do it.
However, remember disabling UAC can make the PC vulnerable. Therefore, disable it only for the problematic information and once the issue is resolved, re-enable it.
1. In the search box type Control Panel and open it.
2. Click on User Accounts
3. Select Change User Account Control settings
4. Scroll the slider down to the Never Notify option.
5. Click Ok to apply changes. That’s it. Now try running the Java application that was giving issues. If this doesn’t fix the problem, we suggest uninstalling the application and downloading the software from a reliable website.
5. Make Options.ini File
The EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error also appears while playing certain games like Minecraft, World of Warcraft, and others. To fix this issue create an options.ini file. To do so, follow these steps:
1. In the Windows search bar type %appdata% > press Enter
2. Open the game using which you are facing the issues. Look for options.ini file, if it is not there, create one, using the below steps:
3. Right-click on the empty area on the desktop > New > select text document from the context menu.
4. In the document paste the following commands:
AudioLOD = Low
HasSeenLogoMovies = yes
IdealStaticGameLOD = VeryLow
Resolution = 800 600
StaticGameLOD = VeryLow
TimesInGame = 1
5. Click on File > Save As.
7. Save it in the game folder and name it options.ini > Save
8. Now try to run the game; you should not face any problems.
Using the steps mentioned above, you can fix exception access violation errors on Windows 11 and 10.
Check This- How To Stop Pop-Up Ads On Windows 11
Above, we have listed 5 different ways to fix the “EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION”. You can use them one by one to see which one works for you; however, if you suspect that your system might be infected, use Systweak Antivirus to detect and clean all types of malware, virus, spyware, adware, and other infections. This best security tool for Windows works efficiently to keep the system protected against threats, and its real-time protection helps detect threats in real-time. We hope you will give it a try and share your feedback about the post in the section below.