We all know browsers are required for web surfing, but do you know they are also used as an application to open PDF documents and other files? The fact that browsers can operate with PDF documents has made them an integral part of our professional and personal lives. Now that users can interact with PDFs using a browser, they no longer need a dedicated PDF opener or Acrobat reader to read, view, and print PDFs.
However, recently, several users have shared that they are unable to print PDFs in Windows from a browser, which can be frustrating as they can’t get a physical copy of the PDF file.
So, how do we fix the issue? Well, identifying what is causing it in the first place will help. In this post, let us look at why one can’t print PDFs in Windows from browsers and try to identify appropriate fixes.
Why Can’t a Browser Print PDF in Windows? Possible Reasons
Using your browser as a full-time PDF opener has limitations. One such limitation appears when you are unable to print a PDF, and the reason needs to be clarified. Usually, some of the core reasons why a PDF document is not printing from browsers include –
- Corrupt data in PDF document
- HD graphics and images in PDF
- Outdated printer drivers
- Cluttered print queue
- Bugs in the browser
- Browser settings issue
Eventually, the user has to struggle with PDF not printing. If you are facing a similar issue, looking at these factors, you may have an idea of where the issue lies exactly.
In the next section, let us take a look at some of the ways you can fix these issues and get rid of the can’t print PDF situation once and for all.
How to Fix Can’t Print PDF in Windows From Chrome Edge, Firefox
To begin with the troubleshooting steps, you should try fixing your browser settings for opening PDFs.
Can’t print PDF in Windows from Chrome Browser –
- Go to your browser settings and look for document behavior settings. You can simply search documents in the upper search bar, or you can directly open the following address in Chrome browser.
- Ensure you keep the setting to Open PDF in Chrome and do not change the default behavior to downloading. Otherwise, you may not be able to find the direct print option after downloading the file.
Can’t print PDF in Windows from Firefox Browser –
- Open the Firefox browser on your computer and go to its settings. These settings can be found from the top right corner options button.
- Scroll down in the settings to find the Applications table. Check what are the preferred choices for different documents and files. Open preferences for PDF documents and choose it to Open in Firefox. You can also save it to Always Ask, which will remind you for permission each time.
Can’t print PDF in Windows from Edge Browser –
- Go to the settings of your Edge browser using a similar approach as in any other browser. Click on the top right corner options button to find the Settings.
- In Settings, go to the Cookies and Site permissions section from the left panel. Scroll down to find the PDF files option. You can also use the direct path given below in the address bar of your Edge browser.
- After you have opened it, turn on the Always download and open settings.
After you have made changes to the browser and you still can’t print PDF in Windows, chances are that the issue lies with the PDF or the printer on your PC. In such situations, you may be required to perform the following fixes.
Update Printer Driver
Even after making the changes to the settings, if the print command is not working, maybe the printer you are using is not working properly. Most of the time, it is a faulty or outdated driver that causes the issue.
If you do not know how to update your printer drivers or any driver on your computer, there’s no need to worry. We bring you the easiest and fastest way to update drivers – Advanced Driver Updater.
Step 1 – Download the Advanced Driver Updater.
Step 2 – Launch the app and start a scan to search for outdated drivers.
Step 3 – Finish the updates by clicking on Update All after the scan is complete.
There are three steps, and you will have updated your PC drivers all at once. Let the system restart, and you are good to go.
Clear Print Queue
Check your print queue to ensure no congestion while printing the file.
Step 1 – Press Win+I to open the system settings.
Step 2 – Go to Bluetooth and Devices from the left pane.
Step 3 – Enter the Printers section and choose your printer for more options.
Step 4 – From the options, click on the print queue to check if any other document is stuck in it. If it is, delete it so that other prints can go through.
After you have cleared the queue, try printing a PDF via the browser, and it should work fine.
Other than these fixes, you should always pay attention to the Print+F module that pops up to check you are printing through the correct printer. You need to choose the correct device to work.
Usually, the browser settings and printer drivers are enough to resolve the can’t print PDF in Windows from browsers issue. However, even after changing the settings and updating the driver, if you are still facing the issue, it may be a hardware issue. Reach out to an expert in hardware to check the connections and working abilities of your printer.
With that, we have reached the end of this post. Thanks for reading. Good luck!