Wondering, how to Fix no Audio Output Device is Installed? Don’t bother because you’ve landed on the right page. Here we will discuss the best ways to resolve no audio devices being installed.
Seeing a Red Cross symbol next to the audio icon in the system tray is annoying. It means you cannot listen to any sound on your computer. And imaging life without music, melodies, sound, & harmony isn’t a good sight, agreed
With that said, if you have run into an error that says, No Audio Output Device is installed. We are here to help. In this troubleshooting guide, we will explain the best ways to fix no audio output device installed in Windows 10.
Reasons For No Audio Devices Are Installed Windows 10, error
Pinpointing one specific reason for the audio output device not working isn’t easy. However, after researching why people face this problem, we were able to sort some common causes. Here’s the list of them:
- Major Windows Update
- Outdated or corrupt audio drivers
- Disabled playback device
- The wireless device is not paired with the PC
- Playback device not connected to the right port
Now that we know the possible causes for audio devices not working, let’s learn how to fix no audio output device installed in Windows 10.
9 Best Ways to Fix No Audio Devices Are Installed
1. Restart system
Many times when you change hardware configurations the audio device might stop working. To avoid this from happening, never attach any device while the PC is booting up. However, if you did connect a peripheral when the Windows wasn’t fully loaded, simply restart the device. This should help fix no audio devices are installed.
2. Run Audio Troubleshooter
To resolve various problems, Windows 10 offers an in-built troubleshooter. Using it, you can get rid of audio-related issues. To use it, follow the steps below:
1. Right-click the volume icon in the system tray
2. Select Troubleshoot sound problems from the context menu
3. Wait for the troubleshooter to detect the problem with the audio device.
4. If you have multiple devices, select the audio device you want to troubleshoot > Next
Note: The device you want to test should be plugged in.
5. If any problems are detected, they will be fixed. Also, the troubleshooter will give tips to improve sound on the system.
6. Once, all the suggested changes are made, test the audio. It should work and you should no longer face, no audio output device is installed, error.
3. Update outdated audio drivers
To avoid facing common Windows errors, keep drivers updated. This allows the system to function properly and handle third-party hardware. The no audio output device is installed on Windows 10, which is often caused due to corrupt or outdated drives.
Note:- You can update drivers both manually and automatically. The former is time-consuming and risky while the latter is easy, effective, and trustworthy.
To manually update the driver, you will need to visit the manufacturer’s website and download the correct driver compatible with your operating system and device you are using. If you are a beginner or don’t like looking for the right driver yourself, we have an easy way. Try using Advanced Driver Updater, a popular driver updater with a huge database of drivers. Using it in no time, you can scan the system for outdated drivers and get the latest and most compatible driver installed.
Recommended – Automatically Update Drivers
To automatically update the driver, follow the steps below:
1. Download and install Advanced Driver Updater
2. Launch the driver updating tool.
3. Click Start Scan Now to scan the system for outdated drivers
4. Wait for the scan to complete.
5. Once you have the scan result, click Update driver next to Audio driver and update it.
Note:- Using the Pro version of Advanced Driver Updater by clicking Update All, you can update all outdated drivers at once. However, if you are using the trial version, you will have to update each driver individually. Furthermore, the paid version of the product comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee and trained technical support.
6. After updating the driver restart the system to apply changes, the audio should now be working.
4. Disconnect and reconnect external output device
Are you using an external audio output device? Try detaching it from the system, then restart the PC and reconnect it. This should help fix no audio output device installed in Windows 10.
If this doesn’t help, move to the next step.
5. Update Windows
At times updating Windows can break the audio device but at the same time Updating Windows can also fix it. Therefore, we suggest updating Windows to fix no audio output device is installed. To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + I to open Settings
2. Click Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates
3. Wait for Windows to check for available updates.
4. If available, you will get Download & install option
5. Click it to update Windows 10
In addition to the above steps, if you see the View optional updates option, click it.
Check the box next to an update related to audio device > Download and install.
Note: You need an active internet connection to update Windows.
6. Use add legacy hardware option
The error No audio output device is installed Windows 10 can be fixed via Device Manager. To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + R to open the Run window
2. Type devmgmt.msc > ok and open Device Manager
3. Look for the Sound, video, and game controllers section and double click it
4. Thereafter, click Action from the top bar and select Add legacy hardware. As shown in the screenshot below:
5. This will open Add Hardware Wizard, click Next
6. Select Search for and install hardware automatically > Next.
7. Click Next if you know the hardware model, you want to install.
8. In the consecutive window scroll down and find Sound, video, and game controllers > Next.
9. Chose the manufacturer, model number of the device > Next > Finish
10. Go back to Device Manager, right-click your audio device > Enable.
Now check if the audio should be working, if not uninstall the audio driver and restart the system to fix no audio devices are installed. To learn how to do that, move on to the next step.
7. Uninstall audio driver
Sometimes, even after updating to the latest driver using Add legacy hardware the issue with no audio output device is installed Windows 10 persists. In such a case uninstalling the driver is recommended. To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + R to open the Run window
2. Type devmgmt.msc > Ok to open Device Manager
3. Look for Sound, video, and gamer controller
4. Double click to expand it
5. Right-click the audio device you are using > Uninstall Device
6. You will now see a warning message click Uninstall to remove the audio device.
7. Similarly, double click Audio inputs and outputs > select the device you are using > right-click > Uninstall device > confirm the action
8. Restart the system to apply changes. The audio problem should now be fixed.
8. Check hardware issues
Often, when facing no audio output device is installed on Windows 10, we forget to check for the proper cable connection.
Therefore, if nothing has worked so far please check if all the wires are properly connected. Also if it is a wireless device it should be attached.
9. Replace defective sound card
If none of the above solutions work, there are chances that the sound card is defective. We suggest you get it checked and fix no audio output device installed in Windows 10.
We hope using the steps explained above you were able to fix no sound issues, and we were able to answer how to fix no audio output device is installed Windows 10. In case you have any questions,regarding Advanced Driver Updater do contact our support team at email@example.com