The Ethernet does not have a Valid IP configuration error generally occurs when the dynamic host configuration protocol, DHCP, fails to analyze the connection and cannot assign IP addresses to the connected devices. Thus making it difficult for a user to use the internet. To avoid such issues, people use LAN cable for internet connectivity, but when it is interrupted, the user is not left with many options. This is why the need to fix this error is of the highest priority.
Fortunately, there are different ways to resolve the issue, and in this post, we will discuss them alongside the causes.
Without further ado, let’s begin!
Reasons for “Ethernet Does Not Have a Valid IP Configuration” Error
When this error occurs, no IP address is configured, which means you cannot use the internet to send and receive data.
Here is the list of reasons why this error might have occurred. These are –
- Malfunctioning Network Adapters
- Incorrect Network Adapter Configuration
- Connection to a Poor VPN Server
These three are the most comm reasons for an invalid IP configuration error while using an ethernet connection. However, fixing them can overcome the error and restore connectivity with your ethernet connection. How to do that? Check out the next section!
Effective Ways to Fix Ethernet Does not have a Valid IP Configuration Error
The first two things that you should do is
1 – Disconnect and reconnect to your network. That usually does the trick for many.
2 – Run the Internet Connection troubleshooter using Windows troubleshooter from Settings→ troubleshoot→ Other Troubleshooters.
These two practices do the trick if it is not a severe error. However, if things have become serious, you might need to refer to the following fixes.
Fix #1 – Configure Network Adapter Settings
The network adapter settings on your PC are responsible for the internet connection you establish. It holds information about the DNS server you use, so you should check the settings for your network adapter and configure them accordingly.
Here’s how to configure these settings –
- Press Windows + R to open the Run search box.
- In the Run search, type control and hit enter to open Control Panel
- Go to Network and Internet→ Network and sharing center
- In the left-hand panel of your screen, you can find the option to Change adapter settings, click on it.
- Once you click on it, a Window opens up with all the internet connections you are using. Select the Ethernet option and open its Properties.
- In Properties, scroll down to find the IPv4 connectivity and open its Properties. Click on Use the following IP address to insert the values manually.
- Here are values for the Google DNS server as an example for you.
IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.15
SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0
DEFAULT GATEWAY: 192.168.1.1
PREFERRED DNS SERVER: 220.127.116.11*
ALTERNATE DNS SERVER: 18.104.22.168
In case you want to use the default configuration, simply click on Obtain IP Address Automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically. This will fetch the IP address and configure the ethernet automatically.
Read Also : Why Is My Internet Speed Slow & How to Fix It
Fix #2 – Update/ Reset your Network Adapter Drivers
The Network Adapter is the whole and soul of your ethernet connection. Even with Wi-Fi, you must have a properly functioning network adapter when you want to connect to the internet. Sometimes, the adapter is not working properly and requires a little reset. This malfunction often causes errors. However, it can be rectified with a reset.
Here’s how to reset your network adapter –
- To access the network adapter, follow steps 1 to 4 of the above approach.
- Once you have reached the adapter, right-click on it.
- You will find an option to disable the adapter for your ethernet.
- Click on it to disable the adapter instantly.
- After the adapter is entirely disabled, again right-click on it and click on enable to restart it.
Once you have done that, try using the internet again. Only this time will the network adapter be able to fetch the proper IP address, and you can access the internet easily.
If the issue persists, chances are that the network driver you are using is outdated and might require an update. There are multiple ways to update the network adapter drivers. Check them out here.
Fix #3 – Start Using a Robust VPN instead of a Free One.
If the issue is not fixed with the network adapter, chances are that there is an issue with the VPN service. While using a VPN, you are using a spoofed IP address. Something that is not your current IP but is provided by the server you are using. The contradiction in the IP between the router and the server you use can cause the Ethernet not to have a valid IP configuration error.
If you were using the internet for a while and the error has just occurred, it is probably because the server you were connected to has expired. You need to change the server to keep continuing the VPN.
If it is not an issue of privacy for you, you can also choose to disconnect from the VPN. to disconnect from a proxy server or a VPN that you were using, simply follow the given steps –
- Open settings on your computer. You can use the start menu for navigation or simply press Windows +I.
- In settings, click on network and security settings.
- There you can find the VPN option. Click and open it for more options.
- In the VPN options, Simply turn off the service.
However, it is understandable that everyone is concerned about online privacy, and thus, it is suggested that you use a VPN with robust encryption. If you are confused about which VPN to choose, Systweak VPN can be a good choice.
It has multiple advantages, such as –
- Better network strength and servers.
- So many network regions are covered for flawless location-switching.
- Stable internet connection and IP address.
- No data logging and data leaking issues.
Check out our detailed explanation of the Systweak VPN here. If you plan to download, click the download link below!
[Solved] “Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration” Error
Dealing with your network adapter properly and configuring your connection is the ultimate fix to the fact that Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration error. Use the above-mentioned fixes, and you will definitely get the resolution.
In case the error was due to the VPN connection, try using the Systweak VPN. I hope you find the post helpful with the error. That is all for this one, Good Luck!
Next Read : Ways to Hide Your IP Address – Free & Paid Methods!